Platform pack while upgrading Xe to e811

jjcnc

Hi ,

I have few questions regarding the platform pack while doing the upgrade. while doing an upgrade from XE to e811. I have enterprise server for PD and one for non production environment. With PD enterprise holding the shared database jde7333

1) While doing the platform pack install, Do I need to start with the production Enterprise server or is there a way I can start just with the development enterprise (and indicate some where that the JD7333 server exist some where else). And then do the upgrade for production enterprise server later on. I Know we don’t need the shared database on both the server, so how can we circumvent this issue
2) Does the platform package actually goes and create your central objects and copies all the directory.
3) In case of upgrade will it make any modification to business and control table on any environment.
4) Will it make any modification to JDE7333 DATABASE?
5) How does concurrent user affect this process?
6) Lastly do I need to rerun platform pack if I am installing a custom path code

Any helpful comments and insight will be helpful

Hi,

1. Yes, you can start installing E811 on the Development
server, and install E811 on Production Server later.
2. You create Central Objects and Pathcodes via a menu
tool GO E811SYS/A98OWMNU
3. Of course, it will modify Business Data and
Control Tables on the upgrading environment, plus
creating Pristine data.
4. No.
5. What do you mean?
6. Never tested that on AS/400.

Sebatian thanks for your answer..THis is on WIntel slq platform.

1) If I just do the development server, where do I specify to use the jd7333 shared database which is part of production enterprise server. Am I missing some thing here
2) I am goign thru the upgrade guide, it no where mentioned creating central object and doing a load all process. So I am assuming the platform pack does it automatically. Let me know if I am wrong and do I need to do it manually
3) Well let me rephare this quesion, will it make modification to my business data and control table while I am installing the platform pack not when I am actualy running the instalaltion planner.
4) When you install platform pack it ask for concureent user. how does this affect over all install
5) if you need to install a custom path, can I follow the steps we used prior to installing this step. or DO I need to rerun the platform pack
2)

Hi,

1. It will create the Pristine Datasources on your
Development AS/400. It won't use neither JD7333 nor
PRISTDTA nor PRISTCTL from your existing Xe.
2. You have to run a LODRUN procedure to install
AS400 OneWorld binaries. Take a look at the iSeries or
AS400 OneWorld install docs.
3. No, it will just create a bunch of libraries in AS400.
4. Haven't heard of that "concurrent user"...
5. Unfortunately, haven't done it on the AS400 platform.

1) You should be able to do this.
2) Platform pack installs any needed libraries, the E1 base code, and the central objects for selected path codes.
3) It will modify whatever environment is selected to upgrade. The modifications/additions will happen when you run your installation workbench.
4) Not to my knowledge.
5) No users should be logged into the environment being upgraded.
6) Nope...you can create custom path codes just like you always have.

Regards,

Biggest advice I can give you, be SURE to download and read the 8.11 known installation issues. There are several gotchas and errors in the upgrade documentation. Also, several important issues specific to iSeries.

Regards,

No more LODRUN in 8.11, that is handled via the Platform pack. The concurrent user field is something that is asked during the iSeries install script, I believe the current guideline is to set it at 200.

Regards,

Sebastian,

Few more point.. I am not using AS400, I am using wintel and SQL combination. Does your answer still stand same.

I just spoke to Oracle and they confirmed that we are no longer required to run the load all process. Platform pack takes care of this.

Well hello to you too! Get right to the point, shall we??!!??
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm not looking at the actual document right now, but some of the biggies as far as the iSeries are...
1. Journal receiver issues if upgrading from XE
2. Security must be off on BOTH the DS and iSeries when running TC's on the iSeries
3. Known issues for UBE's not processing
4. P98OWSEC issues
5. Unicode issues

Regards,

I apologize for my rudeness Sir Stooge, greetings. How hath thou been, I have been missing you and your wise posts of late.

You mentioned a scroll or document. May I inquire as to whether it would be proper to share said document with your audience oh kind sire?

I await patiently here until your bless us with a response...

so many admirer's...so little time.

The document is heading your way...just a'member, it's updated frequently so check the PSFT Customer Connect often for new and exciting upgrade and install fun.

Regards,

Back