Vertex 2.6 on HP-UX 11.11

Maria Miller

Has anyone installed Vertex 2.6 on HP-UX 11.11 enterprise server? We installed it and the ESU that it requires. But had to back it out because it caused jobs in our UBE queues to go to 'S' status and cpu utilization to stay at 100% on the enterprise server. I have a call into support but they are not being very responsive.

Maria

Yes, we are running Vertex 2.6 with October data on HP-UX 11i. No problems to speak of, but we are running 8.9 as opposed to ERP 8.0.

I assume you completed and deployed a new full package build in addition to copying the updates library files into the libv32 directory? Does the selftest (diagnos) function correctly?

There is a new ESU JE8225 that replaces JE8091. It might help.

Ray, We applied JE8225. Thanks for checking.

Charles, We built a full dev package & copied the lib file to libv32. Ran diagnos to test vertex & it seemed to work fine. We are using the isam version of the vertex db. How do you go about testing vertex? Do you use multi-foundation?

Maybe we are taking the wrong approach on testing vertex. The approach we have previously used with success and are currently trying to use to test vertex is as follows:
1) Installed vertex 2.6.0 into a new directory with Dec data update
2) Copied new vertex library files (*.sl) to $SYSTEM/libv32
3) Made vertex 2.6.0 the active version for all environments by changing the unix enviornment variable SHLIB_PATH to point to the new version. Note: During this time users know that we are in a testing mode and can only process checks in DEV.
4) Logged into Dev environment and change Quantum Database Connection data source to point to new version
5) Installed Vertex ESU
6) Did only pre-package build ESU special instructions
7) Built full Dev client & server package
8) Deployed full Dev package to server
9) Complete ESU special instructions
10) Users test in DEV
11) Once testing is complete and users give the okay on the new version then we log into Prod & PY and change Quantum Database Connection data source to point to new version also.
12) Promote Vertex ESU to PY & Prod

We were not able to do step 9 and greater because we started having problems with job going to 'S' status in ube queues. Figured out it must be something to do with vertex since that was the only change. So copied old vertex 2.5.4 library file to $SYSTEM/libv32, set SHLIB_PATH to vertex 2.5.4 directory, changed Quantum db connection data source to point to vertex 2.5.4.

Can anyone see any flaws in this approach?

Maria

On the surface I don't see much wrong with your implementation method. The one thing I would suggest is either multi-foundation install or a separate server for DEV. We are "lucky" in that we have separate enterprise servers for our DEV, QA and PROD architectures. DV9 and PY9 are the only environments sharing an enterprise server (we have a separate QA environment and pathcode before things get to production.) One thing to double check is your OCM mappings. At least with 8.9 I know they recommend very specific OCM mappings to the server and also deleting some others. I'm sure you've read through all of your special instructions and checked that accordingly. Either way, it doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes double checking your ESU special instructions. What happens if you map things locally and run the Windows version of Vertex including the local ISAM database? You would also need to map the default UBE location to local in addition to the Quantum path, but it may tell you if your problem is with the Vertex/ESU combo or if it is your Enterprise server configuration. If you don't mind posting your server JDE.INI (sans passwords) that would also be helpful.

If you look through the server logs on the Unix box, what do you see? Try going into the log directory and type "grep error * | more" and "grep fail * | more". See if anything related to batch processing pops in there that might lead you down the path of a broken Vertex.

Charles, You are so very lucky to have separate enterprise servers. We decided to put Vertex 2.6.0 on hold until February. In February we will setup multi-foundation. This way Vertex 2.6.0 will only affect Dev in it's separate foundation. So if we experience problems with the UBE queues it will only affect the DEV UBE queues.

Thanks for your help.
Maria

Back