Business Function slow build on AS400/ERP8.10

vasoov

We are using a monoprocessor iSeries 520 with ERP8.10 Installed. The business functions take over 6 hours to build. Any suggestions on how to speed this up are welcome.

We are using fat clients to connect to the iSeries. We have 8 users, none of who have started working on the ERP as yet. I am currently looking at the IBM redbook for XE on iSeries as i believe that there may be a problem with the default settings that came with the machine.

Couple things...
I believe I recall that the iSeries C compiler will only use a single processor anyway. (anyone know for sure)

I'm a Xe SP23 user, so forgive me if I am off on 8.10 but I can offer some points we went through with Pkg builds.

The systems spend a large part of the build process exchanging information from the Package build machine and the iSeries.
We saw significant improvements in the full pkg build process by:
1- Installing a 1Gb card in the Fat client machine.
2- Installing a 2nd NIC in our iSeries. (I think the 520 has 2 yes/no?)
We then used a crossover Ethernet cable to connect them.
set the FRAME size to JUMBO or 9K frames FULL DUPLEX.
We went from 13hours full pkg to about 5-6 hours.
DNS... How does the iSeries resolve the network name of the client machine? Make sure the LOCAL HOSTS file on both machines will resolve each other. You need to set the CFGTCP setting to first loook to the LOCAL hosts file for resolution. We saw 'some' improvment by this, but not a whole lot. The trick to get the 1Gb network going.

My 2cents
Jeffrey

Back