trace table/view used

ekben

Well Known Member
dear all,
how to trace what table or business view used in the program? is there any trace tool to use? i wonder if there is any such application in jde. pls help.

Hi,

A few things spring to mind. If it's the primary table an application uses then I'd examine the program through the standard development tools. If you need to know all tables used within an application then I'd put debugging on, go though the operation your interested in and examine the logs. This will detail the tables used for your operation, not all potential tables used which will be alterered by set-up, processing options etc. You could also consider using the JDE support assistant which gives a friendly view of the SQL generated and results returned.

All the databases supported by OW have database tracing facilities to give you some very low level info.

Additionally there's also the cross reference facility - P980011 on menu GH902, though this will need to be rebuilt to contain upto date info as it's not dynamic.

Regards

Neil.

Yip use the XRef tool , it tell you everything, we ran the rebuild this weekend it only took 2hours on a highly mod'ed Site.

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil

1)how to do the tracing?
2)and also in program p980011, after i put in the program name say p0411 (AP Std voucher entry) and clicked find, no table shown. why?

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil

In reverse order:

2) If the x-ref facility isn't showing anything then you'll need to rebuild it. There's a paper on the KG oti-00-0121 on how to do this. It might take a while to run so most people run it over one object type at a time, UBE, BSFN etc

When I use mine it throws up the following:

F0411 Accounts Payable Ledger
F0911 Account Ledger

1) Tracing is a bit more complicated and will be dependent upon your database. If your on DB2/400 and want to know this let me know and I'll post something on it. Better still add your system info to your profile. If SQL server or Oracle someone else will need to chip in as I can't remember off hand and don't have easy access to any doc's on it at the moment. Note that this is purely the database's view of requests so OW business views are meaningless. I'd normally only look at this for performance reasons or for problems when most other things have failed.

I was having a look at the solution explorer Event Capture and Analyzer yesterday, looks like it will also give you some detailed info' from OW's perspective, and is easier to set-up, just select the "JDB Only" option for database requests.

What are you trying to get to? Maybe there's an easier way.

Regards

Neil.

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil 2

thanks alot Neil. Infact I am quite new to this system though i have gone thru all the training rite fr system, modules to erw. prior to this, i was an abapper(sap). i do find a bit handicap when working on JDE. so restricted.
as an experienced user like you, i do hope u can give me some advices.
ok, i am now developing report. 1st thing pop in my mine would be where to get those table out. in sap i can set a trace to find out the table but in jde i do not see there is one. moreover, why the utb showing field horizontally? its quite hard to see. anywhere can i get table information by field in vertical format?
where want to see in view, i need to build. when want to see the data where the field is holding i need to create report section to see. dun't you think its troublesome?

Neil, need your advice
1)where else can i see the contents of table easily besides using utb, create object for report or bv
2)How to know what table used for any program. u told me use the x ref facility, rite? i want to trace withing jde environment. any tools? if not i use x ref. would be helpful enough, rite?
thanks alot

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil 2

Ah, now I see where your coming from. When I'm asked to do some development over an area I'm not familar with I'll sit down with the requestor and ask them to take me through the data as they see it on the screen, and if it's for a report, discuss how they want to see the output. If your lucky you'll be speaking to someone with a little experience who will know the bulk of the tables they are drawing the data from, if not you'll have to do some digging. Once the table has been identified I'd use the UTB to validate how to extract it. The other advantage of sitting with the requestor is that you'll start to appreciate what the data actually is, rather than just being records in a file. After a while the system will start to link up and make a lot more sense. With the P0411 you'll see payments to suppliers and employee expenses. I appreciate how you feel switching from a system you know well onto one that seems very 'foreign', but keep at it and you'll be upto speed soon enough.

A good number of JDE's applications will be primarily based on files named after the application (or fairly close) e.g. P0411 stores most of it's data in the F0411, though as you've seen from the x-ref it also uses the F0911. If this isn't the case I'd go into the application design, find the form(s) the requestor has shown, find the business view it's based on and this will then give you the primary tables. JDE, ok EnterpriseOne, like SAP, is a large and complicated system, so data can also to drawn from a number of other sources, and these won't necessarily show at the top level in the x-ref. To find all these sources I'd normally put debugging on, which is set within the JDE.INI file (this might be similar to SAP's trace, setting this on is very well documented though shout if you need a hand) and have a look at the SQL SELECT statements.

I think this should answer question 2. To see the contents of a table I find the UTB by far the best tool for just looking at the data. If I'm doing anything more than a simple view then I'd use SQL. You haven't said which database your on but if it's DB2/400 then just enter STRSQL or use the ops navigator, otherwise I'd use TOAD or SQLPlus, but there's loads of SQL tools out there. If you do use SQL then bear in mind that any changes to data (UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE) will have an immediate impact, so don't!

If you can get access to an experienced resource, user/consultant/developer etc, ask them to take you through the basic applications and their main tables e.g address books, AR, AP, GL, sales and purchasing are a good start. There's probably less than 30 main tables needed to maintain these and knowing a little about each will give you a real boost.

Regards

Neil.

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil 3

Dear Neil, u r so nice. answered me at length. thanks alot.
1) where to set the debugging on in jde.ini? i mean in [JDE] or [UBE] and which line and also what parameter to set?
2) after setting, how to do the tracing?
3) is about ERW. u see, i need to hide a section under system function. i go to function section and under section folder there are do custom section, hide section, show section,......
in hide section or show section i dun see any available object. i cannot use DO CUSTOM SECTION because there is a relationship with other section in the report. i just want to hide the section. why no object? any reason? is this hide section just simply hide the section? if yes then that's what i want.
i have an option in processing option for user to choose to show the section or hide. that's my intention to hide if user choose NO.
Pls help. thanks alot.

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil 3

1) In the [DEBUG] section make the following changes:
Output=FILE
LEVEL=6
The first turns debugging on, information written into c:\jdedebug.log. LEVEL=6 gives a lot of detail.

2) When you log in again it will be activated. Go through your operation, log off, rename the jdedebug.log file to say "jdedebug P0411#1.log" to ensure it won't get overridden next time you log in, change the jde.ini file back as you won't want to run with debugging on all the time. Go gosh at the size of the log and initially feel bemused at it's contents, start looking for sql calls to your business data library/schema e.g. SELECT * FROM PRODDTA/F0411. You might want to write yourself a little program that just extracts these statements or use one of the tools out there that allows you to filter.
3. Have a look system function Suppress Section Write, it might be better suited to your needs.

Re: trace table/view used - pls help, neil 4

Dear Neil, BIG tq for yr help. but 1 thing. i cannot see suppress section write. i went to system functions in ERW event rules and there is a list of function folder like object, section, general, messaging, workflow,..... i open section folder and there is only hide section and show section. i click either one of them but no object available for parameter mapping. why?
for hide and show object in object folder there is a list of object to choose.

Re: Neil, i got it

Neil, i use hide section and it works. initially i thought there would be any further object under hide or show section. just now i tried just clicked to select the hide section function and put in my statement and run it. it turn out to take effect when i pass flag from processing option.
big thank you.

Back