Unicode Conversion question

msouterblight1

VIP Member
To all,

We are planning our upgrade to 8.9. I know I will need a unicode formatted database. However, I have another question related to this. I was looking at the conversion guide, and it states the NON-UNICODE formatted data will be changed to UNICODE format. My question is this, should I perform the conversion in the NON-UNICODE database and then copy the data over to the UNICODE database, or should I first copy the NON-UNICODE data to the UNICODE database and then perform the conversion.

Basically, should I copy the data over before or after I do the conversion.

Thank you,

Copy the non unicode data and run the unicode conversion. Once you create the script it will ask which Data sources you want to create the script for. Thats where you select the data sources.
It will create a XML script under the script folder.

We are still on Xe, and would like to FIRST convert our custom 'C' BSFN's with the Peoplesoft Conversion tool, BEFORE we upgrade.

1) Is this possible ?

2) How do I get the Conversion Tool ?

3) Are there instructions for doing just this ?

We are not currently in a situation where we can just Upgrade our current XE system, owing to System constraints, hence would like to do as much work up-front as is possible.

Any help, advice would be great !

Not really.

Such converted code will not be functional in XE - it woudn't even build, because the new API's and datatypes were not present in XE. It's a guaranteed way to make your XE installation broken. It can only be used _after_ the Upgrade and in the new system.

Also, this conversion process is not necessarily going to give you the final functional result anyway: there's likely to be some extra manual tweaking required on top of it to make it work. This tool works (simplified, but close enough) as a "replace" command in notepad. This is not always sufficient.

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
http://www.pastuhov.com.au/index.htm

Back