Installation of fat client failing

vivek_kaushal

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
During the installation of JDEdwards software on a pc, I am getting the following message "Setup failed. The error reported by the operating system is "The permitted number of files was exceeded". Please run setup again". The installation is successful on other pc. I have brought it to the attention of our OS expert. He told me that this is due to the fact that I am installing the software from deployment server and this error message will go away if I copy the folder "OneWorld client install" from deployment server to fat client and then install the software. I suspect that there is some parameter that need to be setup at the OS level on that pc.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Vivek,
I ran into this error years ago when trying to install on a particular PC. It turned out that Microsoft has some maximum number of files (pgms, files, documents, etc.) that is allowed on a particular drive.
I wish I could remember what that number was but I can't. Also, I think I ran into this on NT 4.0 but I think it applies to other MS versions too.
Regards,
Dave

Vivek, There is a limit to the number of files that MS products can store directly at the root of C:\. Since the FAT client install is trying to write a few files to the c:\, I would see if there are any files the user has saved there that can be moved to an actual directory rather than the root.

Ryan Hunt

Hi Ryan and Dev
Thanks very much for your replies. The OS of the workstation that is giving the error is Windows NT 4.0. I checked the no of files at the root of the C: drive. There are 14 files at the root( including folders). I also deleted one folder on C: drive that has a lot of files and tried to reinstall the fat client, but getting the same error message.

Vivek,

Has the workstation had a FAT client on installed before? If you have old full packages available, can you install one that installed successfully in the past?

Hi Ryan
This workstation was our tested development workstation with development, prototype and production package. But it crashed and after the crash, the same image of Windows NT OS was installed and it started giving us this error message during the installation of development package. The installation of same development package is successful on 2 other workstations (The OS on these workstation was installed from different OS image).
However today I was successul in installing the same development package when I choose the the production objects instead of development for the same package. It is only when I choose the development objects when it gives me the error message. The installation was around 81% when the error message pop up box came up.
My understanding is that diffence between the installation of production and development objects is only that more objects are copied for development objects( e.g. source, lib folder etc) as compared to production otherwise the procedure is same. I also found that if I manually make the duplicate copies of the B7 folder on C drive then I do not get any error message. Windows NT event log does not show any errors. The no of files on c drive of successful pc are more as compared to the pc in which it is failing. Our OS expert is wondering how come the installation was successful on the same pc with same OS image about 2 years back before it crashed and now it is failing.

I suspect that there may be some kind of parameter(which I do not know right now) at the OS level on this pc which is causing all the trouble. Since last 2 years, we have applied ESUs and did some development, due to which the number of objects in the package has gone up and crossed this parameter at the OS level and that is the reason it is failing. The other pcs in which the installation is successful may have higher value of this parameter.
What do you think?

Vivek

Since you said one of the machine crashed. I would look in the registry to see if anything is goofy there. Run regedit and look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Jdedwards\OneWorld\Install.ini\B7333 to see if anything is amiss there. Just a thought.

Patty

Vivek,

I'm not sure what to tell you... I've looked through environment variables and I don't see any system settings that would affect this copy. I know you said that this a fresh install / image, but I would try doing a full uninstall of the client - making sure that all security files and pathcode directories are fully removed. Then try to re-install.

Also, are the other boxes that are working NT4.0 boxes? If so, any chance you can use the working image and modify per the machine once you have it installed?

Hi Patty,
Thanks for your reply. We reimaged OS of the PC after the crash(reinstalled OS) and after that we installed all softwares. Today again I uninstalled JDEdwards, deleted the B7 directory and deleted the entry from registry and then try to install it, but got the same error message.

Hi Ryan
We made some progress yesterday.

Yesterday I was able to able to install the development package on the same client (in which it was failing earlier) by copying the OneWorld client install directory to the fat client and then running setup from there. However it still kept on failing when I ran the setup from "OneWorld client install" folder on deployment server. I noticed that whenever the installation of Peoplesoft fat client (Development package) fails on fat client, following event log error entry is made on deployment server.
Event Id: 2009 Source: Srv Description: The server could not expand a table because the table reached the maximum size.

I found the following url related to this error and started debugging the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;165815

I ran the performance monitor on the deployment server to monitor the no of open files while doing the installation on fat client and found out that no of open files exceeded 2048 on deployment server during the installation which causes the installation to PeopleSoft application to fail on fat client. Per this document the number of open files per session on Windows NT can not be more that 2048. The no of open files did not exceed even 500 while doing installation of same development package on other fat clients.

Any thoughts why different number of files are opened for installation on different workstations and coping of files from deployment server to fat client during installation (serial vs parallel)?

Hi Vivek,

when was the last time you rebooted the Deployment server.

Vivek,

Are you using 'un-compressed packages'? We were using them for a while to save the 3 hours of compression time on our Build/Deploy process. This error began occuring after we loaded an ESU (don't remember which one, this was a year or so ago, maybe more).

Our answer was to compress the packages. When we went to W2K the issue went away.

Tom Davidson

Hi Tom

Thanks for the suggestion( Peoplesoft also suggested the same). I know that this is the workaround to avoid the problem and not the root cause of the problem.

Thanks

Back