interface with Barcode systems

JDEboy

Guys,
How does the OneWorld interface with Barcode systems?
Our customer wants his employees to use the barcode to count their items and to be entered directly to the oneworld!!!
I searched the KG.. Couldn’t find something useful….any help will be appreciated

I have customers who have used DSI, but it's mostly been World
implementations, but they have worked amazing well with the interfaces...

How does the OneWorld interface with Barcode systems?
Our customer wants his employees to use the barcode to count their items and
to be entered directly to the oneworld!!!
I searched the KG.. Couldn’t find something useful….any help will be
appreciated

You may search current & Developers forums' archives. The interface has to be custom built :)
Warm regards,

Hi
OneWorld has some built-in Business functions for dcLink from DSI (Data Systems International)
You can find more info at http://www.dsionline.com/
(I do not work for DSI, but have implemented a barcode solution at a site in Sweden. You can do some pretty nifty things with scripting)

Regards...

Hi JDEBoy,

as Adrian stated, you will have to build a custom interface. The method I used was to build a COM environment, wrap the business functions to be used in a DLL, and then write a VB Application that calls the business functions. It works very well and is quite stable. You can then incorporate this application in your barcode scanner application, completing the link with JDE.

The business functions are not only for DSI, but they are the standard JDE business functions wrapped into a DLL. Read all about them in your documentation (quite good).

Your information sources are:
Business Function Documentation.
Knowledge Garden - tricks, setting up the COM env (INTEROPERABILITY GUIDE), and some very good samples.
This list - search on barcodes, VB, gencom, com

I found that the greatest problems are:
1) which busines functions to use.
2) in which order to use them.

You will have to find this out the difficult way by "walking" through the app in debugger, and using the logs.

Xe, U5 soon 7, SP 19.1c1 soon SP21i1; SUN UNIX Oracle 8.1.7; - WIN2k, WTS

Hi,
We used a "QuickScan 6000Plus" scanner and its has a keyboard sumilater. So we did not have to build complex interfaces to feed barcode data to OneWolld. I cam provide more information if required.

Manoj Kidiyoor

OneWorld 5, SP 21_I1, Oracle 8i, Solaris

We inmplemented a bar coding application for Cycle Counting and will work on physical inventory later. We import data from the bar code reader into a MS Access database. After some validity checking we pass the data to a table linked to the F4141 JDE table to update the counts. From that point on we run the normal JDE cycle count programs for variance reports and acceptance. I haven't looked at the physical inventory process yet but feel it works much the same, with a work file, to be able to handle it the same way.

Hi

There is a great program called RFsmart. A few of my clients implemented it and it works great. It does not take long to implement.

You can check it out at http://www.rfsmart.com/

We have been trying to use RFSmart for quite some time. Some bug in XE Base or RFSmart could not be corrected by RFSmart pople. They said we should upgrade to UPD 6 or UPD 7 so that they could get it working.
We are testing now.
It's been a mess.
Dave

Hi,

Which transaction are you doing in RFSmart. One of my clients is no update 3 and the other is on update 5 and they are not having any problems.

With JD Edwards service pack ar you!!

Adriano,
We can use the inventory scanning but the scanning to load trucks is not functional. There are other misc non-critical problems like the RF server needs to be booted weekly due to memory leak problems.
I'm just not very impressed at this point.
Dave

As with others that have posted in response to your question, We are using DCLink (we used DSI) and have been pretty successful.

Dave,
why is the scanning to load trucks is not functional?
is it an issue related to them??? or to your operation???
also does any one know any thing about Scylark, MCL-Collection.....?????

JDEboy,

RFSmart people cannot determine why it does not work. They say that it must be because our production environment is at XE base. They have given up trying to find the problem until we upgrade.

That is why we are installing upd 7 now.

Like I said, my confidence level in RFSmart is not real high right now.

Dave

We've been live with a product called RFGen since Jan 1. Currently, we only do IT transactions. In RFGen, we created VBScript to write to the EDI files, while R47121 is running as a scheduled job every 5 minutes. If you do not need real-time, this has worked well for us.

Back