Archiving / Purging in OneWorld Xe

MariaG

Hi list,

We are currently working on our plans to carryout Archiving and Purging of data from our OneWorld system. Our most significant concern at the moment is that when we archive data from our system, that we will lose all details which are currently stored in relation to purchase orders as attachments, since these are not achieved by the use of TAG files. Has anyone carried out Archive / Purge processes with any degree of success and give any advice on this?

Thanks in advance,

Maria

Maria,

We have not purged purchase orders yet, but we did research the JDE base purge programs, including those for purchase orders. The ones we researched only affect the particular purchase order tables they are running over, ex) Purchase Order Detail purge only deletes from the F4311, so you should not lose your attachments. But how do you relate from your archived records back to the attachments?

The attachments are stored in the F00165 table. I'm not all that familiar with them, but from a quick investigation, JDE seems to be using a fairly simple method of identification. For instance, in the case of a PO attachment made from the P4310, they've got the media object name GT4301 in the OBNM field. You can determine which media object an application uses by looking in its code, but an even easier way is to go into a test environment and add a new attachment. Then go to the F00165 and filter on date / your login. JDE concatenates the order number, doc type, company, and suffix, with a vertical bar as the separator into the TXKY - Generic Text Key field, so this is what you use to tie back to your archive record.

Once you figure out the pattern for media object identification, you could write your own custom script or program to copy records from the F00165 to a media object archive table and your own interface to the archived PO records and media attachments. Now, I'm not saying that wouldn't be a lot of work! You should double-check with JDE that they don't provide anything built-in, but if they do, I haven't come across it in my research.

Hi Maria,

how do you go ahead with that Archiving? I've thought that is something that is not existent in JDE's world (purging a table is NOT archiving, I would say). Also, I've found that SAR that says, that Princeton Softech is trying to develop something to fill the gap (transparent archiving, archived data is still accessible from the same environment if needed, etc.).

The bad one: Gave them a call and it seems they are still waiting for a demand of more than one customer.

Back