JAS Server CPU Blips.....

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Hi List !

I was playing with a JASSVR environment today - and have a question for all you JASSVR users out there. With only a single user on my JASSVR not doing anything (sitting in a screen), I see the CPU on the Java Server blipping between 7% and 38% on a second by second basis - (attached JPG of the Task Manager).

I'm running in this configuration :

ES - Wintel 2000 running SQL Server 2000 SP2 <I think>
APPSVR - 3 Tier configuration - seperate WINTEL Application Server
JASSVR - Wintel 2000 Websphere 4.0 AEs
OneWorld ERP 8.0 Service Pack 21 OneOff G
JDBC - using Microsoft JDBC Service Pack 1

Anyone got any ideas ? I'm going to use this as a base for a performance benchmark - and I wanted to ensure that the system was running "quiet" prior to running any tests.

Attachments

• 53047-jassvrcpu.jpg
    53047-jassvrcpu.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 80
Hi Jon,

If you click on the processes tab of task manager and sort by CPU Usage - you should see what process is blipping - you may need to go to View | Select Columns and select the CPU counter, don't recall if it's default or not.

When you go to Process option in task manager, Look for java.exe process ( the number of these process will depend on how many AS you have configured). once you know which of this is blipping it will be easier for you to resolve the issue.

Yes - I know its the java process running, I already mentioned that in the first post - the question is what is it doing ?

I have a single user in a browser doing nothing - just logged in at the menu. The question is why is the java.exe process under websphere constantly hammering the CPU every second ? Is this configurable ? Is there something it is communicating back to the end users browser with on an ongoing basis ? It seems that ALL websphere implementations do exactly the same thing - constant "blipping" of the CPU as some process is communicating back to the thin client each second.

I am going to set up a network trace between the server and the client - see if there is any network activity that coincides with the CPU blip.

ok - well I managed to find out the answer in the end.

In effect, the client browser will constantly "ping" the Java Application Server on a regular basis - configurable in the JAS.INI section. This "ping" will generate CPU time on the JAS Server on its own accord, and will linearly increase based on the number of users connected to the server.

I was able to start up a number of browsers (10) and leave them logged in for a period of time. The attached shows the average CPU chart for a few minutes...

I think it might be best to reduce this setting down on the JAS.INI to reduce the amount of CPU used on the Java Application Server and the amount of Network Bandwidth used...

Attachments

• 53409-blip-more.jpg
    53409-blip-more.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 77
Is this some sort of "keep-alive" functionality? Do you know the reasoning behind these "pings"? And, lastly, what is the setting in the ini?

Thank you,

Did anyone find out what the JAS.INI setting that was referred to here?

Back