benefit of running job in a nultithreded queu

jaisejames

Well Known Member
Hi i would like to know what is the benefit of runnign the job in a multithreded queue, how many queues can we have in an setup is determined by what

Multithreaded queues permit more than one job to run at the same time. Normally even a single processor can handle more than one (non-financial ;-) UBE at a time. This allows you to use more of your capacity and service more than one request at the same time.

For the most part you only use a single threaded queue when jobs submited to it must run one at a time or you are trying to limit the impact of one or more reports.

How many queue's can you have? I've never exceeded, nor do I know of, any limit. If you need more queues, add more servers.

It would help to know your environment since the setup of queues differs from platform to platform.

Let's be kind now. We all started somewhere.

Thanks,
James

IBM Business Consulting Services
OneWorld CNC Consultant
Cell #: 608-207-5052

jvkerp
<emaze99@hotmail. To: James Wilson/Chicago/IBM@IBMUS
com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: benefit of running job in a nultithreded queu
owner-jdelist@jde
list.com

12/12/2002 03:52
PM
Please respond to
jdelist

You're a CNC CONSULTANT?????
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=46733
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

HI Dave,
I am aware of this, My question basically stems out the reasoning what is the relation ship between multithread queue and mult-processor. DO we at all have any relationship. In a normal circumstance I would assume the queue should be split accross different processor and and job run faster. But I am not sure if this is the case with JDEdwards queue.....

I can't speak for AS/400 or UNIX but on an NT system a UBE will not span processors. Actually all you are doing by creating a 'multi threaded' jobqueue is starting another jdequeue instance which will pickup a pending job from a specific named jobqueue. You will be able to simultaneously process the number of UBE's that you have 'threads' in a job queue. Rule of thumb is 2 threads/processor. If you have say 1 multithreaded queue with 4 threads on a dual processor system and 2 UBE's are submitted to that queue then the OS should load balance the two individual jdequeue processes that become busy to separate processors but that is outside the hands of JDE.
So in effect yes it can balance across multiple processors but that balancing process happens outside of JDE. If you have 2 separate single threaded queues and each queue receives a UBE to run the OS will treat this situation exactly the same in regards to balancing across processors.
So there is no direct correlation between multithreaded queues and multiprocessor systems since one is handled by the OS and the other by JDE but the end result will be yes separate jobs either from multiple queues or from a multi-threaded queue will most of the time get load balanced across the processors.
Clear as mud? :)

HTH
Jeff

"You're a CNC CONSULTANT????? "

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

Re: benefit of running job in a (Jon Steel?)

I think it was Jon Steel that once posted an incredibly useful answer to the question about the relationship between queues and processors and multithreading.

Maybe he'll jump in.

HI ,
that was quit einsightful. I was basically enquiring about whther the multithreaded works according to the norm of OS, where job get distributed and finishes faster. But apparently that s not the case here. all it does is let other users job executed simulteneouly with out having to wait for the first users job finish

It's been my experience in NT and Unix that a single UBE runs on a single processor. It does not appaer to spread the load across multiple CPUs.

I also spent last night at a Holiday Inn....

A Holiday Inn ? I think that's called "camping".

dave

Is there any special setup needed for multithreaded queues? I'm thinking the JDE.INI will need updated. This is running on NT as single threaded already just need to know how to setup Multi Thread. Any suggestions would be helpful.. Thank you. - Don

Back