Winlogon.exe using lots of CPU

Hi List,

We have a situation on our Citrix servers whereby the Winlogon.exe process starts to use excessive CPU. This only happens for a handful of users. When their session starts everything is OK for a couple hours. After that - the CPU usage goes up an up - to the point where opening a screen uses 25 % CPU, and takes up to 30 Seconds. All users connect to Ow as an anonymous published app.

We recently upgraded to XE update3 sp 17.1 which may or may not be when this started happening.

any ideas??

Hi,
We had exactly the same issue - 2 fixes -

Workaround - Log someone into the Console of the server - this will eliminate the issue shortterm.

Permanant fix (For us) - We fuond the issue for us was with Novell - they have a hotfix for this published on their website - we applied this and the issue was resolved immediatly. There is an individual patch for this issue for you can download and install the Client 4.8.3 SP1 from Novell.

If you are not running Novell I would suggest trying the workaround and if it work create a script that does this each time the server is started.

Any issue let me know.

Stuart

thanks stuart.

We are not running Novell - so I will try logging on from the console as you suggested

Barry

Hello,

I have done more investigation on this issue, but still no success. I have applied all sorts of windows and oracle service packs to no avail.

What I have noticed is that it happens to only a select amount of users ( mainly those that use Voucher Match). Once we close the Voucher Match screen the session returns to normal. It also happens to some of our sales entry staff - but I haven't worked out which screen may be causing it.

If I leave voucher match screen open all day it does not happen to me.... therefore it must be something that they are doing to make it go this way.

Our users do like to have many (up to 10) screens open all the time - which is probably not good either

Any ideas anyone

thanks

Barry

We also had the same issue. The Novell hotfixes fixed our problem as well.

Hi Barry

Are you mapping business functions to the Enterprise Server ? It'd be important to understand how the CNC architecture is working here.

I have applied w2k SP3 to citrix boxes, I am using msgina instead if ctxgina, and many other tweaks (to no avail).

The "Winlogon effect" as I call it, happens whether BSFN's are mapped local or to the Enterprise Server. Once the offending screen is closed, everything is ok again for a couple hours for that user.

Please advise of any other info you may require

thanks

Barry

Barry,
It does not matter if you are running Novel or not really - the issue revolves arounf the "GINA" file - Microsoft (Or whomever) will know what you mean.

Back