Xe to 8.11 SP1 -no env. available for planner update to apply

Bartek Czupa

Bartek Czupa

I’m stacked on the very beginning of the upgrade process. This is Xe SP21 to 8.11 SP1 upgrade on Intel/SQL platform.

What has been done:

1. Deployment installed from CD (all Environments installed)
2. Databases manually attached to MSDE (on known issue list)
3. Tools Release 8.95.G1 installed
4. SP1 installed
5. Planer Update JJ10829 installed
6. SpecialInstrs.bat executed

Now, after I log to PSFTPLAN on deployment as PSFT user I cannot apply ESU JJ10829 to planner env. because there is no environment available after I select it and click next.

I assume that I should apply it to planner environment like any other ESU BEFORE lunching installation planner for an upgrade. But I may be wrong … Did I miss something important ?

Any suggestions appreciated

If you installed the ESU, that put it in the planner. Since I'll assume you haven't yet installed any other path codes and environments, that is why your environment list is empty. When an ESU is installed, it is actually installing on the planner DB.

Thanks for an explanation. I thought it may be so but wanted to make sure.

So this is different that it was in Xe were executing ESU binary file only updated system directories and added datasource pointing to access database for this ESU and each ESU had to be applied to environment, even to the planner. This new behavior is quite strange because now I have status for planner update ESU downloaded successfully and no installation date or any status for its installation. I also thought that ESU install process only attach ESU database to MSDE and separate process (applying ESU) is required to actually copy anything form it to planner database.

Well, I haven’t run installation planner so no environments are installed on enterprise server but I had thought that deployment should already know at least planner.

Is planer update supposed to be installed to other environments then planner?
Should it be later applied to DV, PY, PD etc. ?

A Planner ESU is different from normal ESU's , as it does a merge of the specs with the Planner pathcode( like an update package install). So just running the executbale applies the changes of the Planner ESU to the Planner pathcode.

Once you have finished your installation workbench and your environments are setup , you can use the ESU application to apply the Planner ESU to the other (DV , PY etc) environments

Back