World CASE Computer Assisted Programming (CAP)

Eric Lehti

VIP Member
When you write a new World application, do you use the CASE tools found on menus G93, G9361, G9362, and G9363?

Eric,

Most places do not have the CASE tool as it was an optional add-on expense to the original software package. JDE business partners were the only companies that used the CASE tool. I worked for a JDE business partner servicing JDE clients and never had a client that had purchased the tool. We had the tool in-house and used it only rarely to create complete programs because unless the program was relative simple the CASE tool was only good for creating a frame work of a complete program. Your best option is to start with one of the six model programs as a skeleton program and work from that starting point to creating your program.

Steven J. Hieronymus

No - the templates aren't in ILE RPGIV /Free format. J

Bob Cagle

IT Manager

Lynk, Inc.

Behalf Of Eric Lehti
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:50 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: World CASE Computer Assisted Programming (CAP)

When you write a new World application, do you use the CASE tools found
on menus G93, G9361, G9362, and G9363?

No, do not use the CASE tools.=0A=C2=A0=0AJohn Dickey=0A=0A=0A_____________ ___________________=0AFrom: Eric Lehti <[email protected]>=0ATo: jd [email protected] =0ASent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:50 PM=0ASub ject: World CASE Computer Assisted Programming (CAP)=0A=0AWhen you write a new World application, do you use the CASE tools found on menus G93, G9361, G9362, and G9363? =0A=0A

[ QUOTE ]
When you write a new World application, do you use the CASE tools found on menus G93, G9361, G9362, and G9363?

[/ QUOTE ]

My client is running A7.3 on IBM i 7.1

I prefer writing free-form code nowadays, but on the rare occasion when I need to create a new interactive program to use within the JDE environment, yes - I use the CASE tool.

I generally use the Quck-Start option of the CASE tool to generate the program skeleton which I then run through CVTRPGSRC to convert to fixed-format RPGIV.

We have already converted all of the subroutine and data structure copy books to ILE, so all that remains to be done after converting the source is to change the /COPY statements to reference the ILE copybooks.

Re: RE: World CASE Computer Assisted Programming (CAP)

Thanks, Bob . I remember now that you have been in ILE and /REEE for many years. Eric

Back