E9.2 Wireless barcode reader options

TonyF666

Hi all,
Currently we are using very old wireless barcode scan guns (Symbol MC9090-G) to populate part# fields in various JDE E1 screens. These guns are running Windows Mobile 6.5 which went EOL a LONG time ago and need to get off them asap. I would like to know what other options are out there and what other JDE users have implemented (android guns, tablets, smartphones, etc).

Thanks for any insight!
Tony

Tony

I have implemented Android based scanners in my previous job. These scanners are easier to carry, long range and have walkie talkie too. You can get LTE version then you need to have a data plan instead of WIFI. We are using a CT65 and a CK60 model. CK60 was a LTE model.

There are no scanners with windows CE software available. Also lead time of new guns is almost 4 months. (Chip shortage). All the scanners run on Android.

The problem is your infra guys should allow you to use android (security reasons) and installation etc are very different. What version DSI do you use? They call it apps now not scripts like before.

Tablets, smartphones - we did not encourage this but this was to done mostly future.

Most recent deployments we've seen of handhelds are using either Zebra (Symbol gear) or Honeywell. Of course you have a lot more options now and it really depends on what your requirements are. The handhelds are still the best option if you do a lot of scanning however if your users don't need to do rapid scanning you can look at using tablets/phones with their cameras or alternatively you can connect a dedicated scanner (they're general imagers these days) to a low cost device. Again, it really depends on your use case as to your best option. We have quite a few customers now using Samsung Tab Active devices in the warehouse for example.

Thank you all for the info. Our users will mostly be walking around the warehouse scanning parts on shelves. The custom JDE webpage has a few fields that will be populated by the barcode. But as some small parts are rapidly scanned inside a crate, it needs to have more pinpoint accuracy (focused point of light) like the guns do, but those guns are pretty expensive ($2000+ each), so we are looking for a cheaper solution. I was thinking maybe a cheap handheld tablet ($300) with a Bluetooth gun ($50) connected to it. I think I should probably look at Windows OS as I think Android would introduce a whole other level of security concerns that will have to be managed (we are soley a Microsoft shop currently).

Tony

Thank you all for the info. Our users will mostly be walking around the warehouse scanning parts on shelves. The custom JDE webpage has a few fields that will be populated by the barcode. But as some small parts are rapidly scanned inside a crate, it needs to have more pinpoint accuracy (focused point of light) like the guns do, but those guns are pretty expensive ($2000+ each), so we are looking for a cheaper solution. I was thinking maybe a cheap handheld tablet ($300) with a Bluetooth gun ($50) connected to it. I think I should probably look at Windows OS as I think Android would introduce a whole other level of security concerns that will have to be managed (we are soley a Microsoft shop currently).

Tony
You'll be hard pressed to find a suitable tablet at $300 and you're definitely not going to find anything with a Windows OS. The closest thing you'll find running Windows would be a surface go 3, but you'd probably only get half a shift out of the battery and that's assuming it lasted that long before a user destroyed it. They are definitely not designed for a warehouse environment. For mobile warehouse solutions, you're really just looking at Android or Android.

Back