Application not working for one USER only

custhe

Well Known Member
Hi List,

We experienced a serious problem yesterday with our payroll that has since “automagically” gone away. I would appreciate any insight/conjecture from the pros as to what might have happened, because it is very troubling.

User JOAN reported that our customized P57 Time Entry application (which has worked beautifully for over a year) stopped working for her. The vanilla portion of the app was still working, a portion of the custom code was still working, but some portion (including that which creates tag table records) was not working. When she tried to close OW, got a “threaded process running” message, even after ½ hour of inactivity.

A. Other users did not experience the problem, even when establishing a new connection to the same Citrix server.
B. When JOAN connected to the other Citrix server she still had the problem, so it didn’t appear to be corrupted specs at the local level.
C. When JOAN used another PC, with another user’s network & Citrix logon (thereby getting someone else’s INI file) she still had the problem. Not a PC or network user or INI problem.
D. JOAN has no security settings at the user level. One of the users that was tested with no problem was a member of the same ‘system role’ security group, so it didn’t seem to be JDE permission’s related.
E. Used P98950 to delete JOAN’s user overrides for the app. Still had the problem. It so happens that she had already logged into JDE with a fresh session, but had not yet executed the app, when the overrides were deleted from another machine. My understanding is that overrides aren’t retrieved when initializing JDE, but are retrieved & cached when actually executing an app the first time. So I _believed_ it wasn’t related to overrides.
F. Called it a day, went home, drank heavily.
G. I changed JOAN’s password this morning so that I could test in her absence. Logged on as JOAN, and the darned thing works now !!! Copied another user’s overrides to JOAN, still works.

-- Did the problem go away when her password changed?
-- Did the problem go away because her user overrides had been corrupted and were deleted, and I’m misunderstanding when the overrides are fetched?
-- Did some runaway process on the enterprise server (under the user JOAN) finally resolve itself overnight, and is now all happy again?

Note: we did not get to test JOAN from a fat client, and did not test with logging turned on, before it “fixed itself”. All of the above occurred in the PD environment. Between each of the various JOAN tests, administratively forced a log-off of her Citrix session, clearing all processes running on the Citrix server relating to her session ID.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi,

Do you have some specific securities for these profile, or for his group ?
This kind of problems is oftrn linked with security.

Thanks for responding Sebastien. There are no security records for the User Profile JOAN. There are securities written against Group *PAYMGR, of which JOAN is a member.

However, at the time JOAN was having problems, the application was working perfectly for another user within the *PAYMGR group. That user also did not have any security defined at the user level.

Although I can't attest to this with absolute certainty, I believe the user needs to be logged out when you delete the user overrides. I do know we experience problems with user overrides at times and that we have the user log off before wiping them clean. I also know your problem sounds/smells like a user override problem.

One question, what did you drink?

Bill

I agree it smelled like a UO problem based on many threads on the list. But based on the sequence of events it just didn't seem logical to me.

In answer to your question, Captain Morgan seems to be my beverage of choice lately.

Back