Wildcard does not work in QBE for VARLEN Data Type

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi List,

I have a 255 long string field in one of my tables with VARLEN (Variable String) data type.

The "*" wildcard character does not work for this column in APPLs.
The wildcard has been removed when I exited the QBE column.
The same happens when I try to set the QBE field for this column from a form control. I can also not set selection for VARLEN type using the SetSelection system function.

Please help!

I havent found anything neither on JDELIST nor on Knowledge Garden, exept one similar problem reported on 09.04.2002 and it status "04 - Returned-Redesign not Planned"
:(((

I really hope that somebody can help.

Would be highly appreciated if somebody try that does the wildcard works in QBE for VARLEN on higher SP level than 15.1.

Regards,

Zoltán

Servus Zoltán,
Where do you want me to test the VARLEN? Could you specify an existing AAPL, please; or do you want me to test it on a brand new one?
Warm regards,

Zoltän,

Recently, in a post titled Data Items, they were trying to compare TXVC data item values. They were unsuccessful, at that time, I tried to put the field in a grid and was unable to search or even retrieve the field (which happened to be in the Media Object Text table). I'm not sure that type field can be manipulated in the normal way.

Ben again,

Servus Adrian,

Very kind of you to be ready to make a test.

The SAR what I have found is 6207037 and refers to APPLs P76B127B and P76B130 under release 8.9. Unfortunately neither exist under XE.

My problem occureed with a custom Data Item in a custom table on a custom form.

I made a little research making a bit easier a test.

On our platform:

a.) OMWLDATA data item has the same data type, length and attributes like my custom one
b.) The P98210 View Object Management Log uses it on the grid, on the W98210D Work With Log Detail form.
c.) This grid column is invisible.
d.) First set the Visible attribute for this column (4th in the Grid, Column Name is Log Data) using FDA and save the APPL Locally.
e.) Call the Logging row exit from OMW for an object which has some logs and press Find.
f.) Select a log (or press Log Detail row exist on an) entry which has some Details.
g.) Find the mentioned column in the grid and check, that is it really the OMWLDATA data item.
h.) Try to filter the detail logs on this column using its QBE field.

To be on the safe side, finally check the mentioned data item in the Data Dictionary, that is it really VARLEN type with length 255.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Ben again,

Here are, what I also tried (without success):

1.) Disable Formatting, Editing and everything for the column on the Overrides window, called from the Column Properties sheet.

2.) Making the same from event rules using the Set Data Dictionary Overrides system function (Grid class).

3.) Trying to call the Set Data Dictionary Item system funtion (Grid class) to override DD to an other 255 fix field length DD. This System function is not available for Business View grid columns, it is available only for Data Dictionary Item grid columns.

4.) I associated the column with a 255 fix field length DD, using the Edit / Assiciate / Data Dictionary Item... menu selection in FDA.
-- The column lost its Business View properties
-- it became to a Data Dictionary Item Data grid column
-- some event rules corrupted
-- the QBE disabled for this column
-- the value did not retrieved

These were my attempts "briefly".

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltán,

We ran into this early on in our customization efforts (on B73.3.1) that OneWorld will not allow QBE wildcarding (or even any value?) on Variable Length character fields. You must use a fixed character length field for QBE to work correctly. We're an Oracle shop and you're hitting this on SQL Server so I suppose it is a OneWorld limitation.

Best Regards,

Hi Larry,

I am afraid, you are right as usual ;-)

The only funny thing, that wildcard filtering works fine on VARLEN fields in the Universal Table Browser (UTB).

My little problem is that this DD is part of a large custom modul which contains several Object Librarian and NonObject Librarian type elements. More table contain this DD and and the modul refers it in several places (e.g. BSVW, Event Rule, Interconnect Data Structure).

I am afraid, that if I change this DD to fixed length string type then more specifications will be corrupted hopelessly, for all that I generate all tables and check all references.

So, I am trustingly looking for a solution, other than DD data type changes.

Regards,

Zoltán

Larry,

The other funny thing, that I can use VARLEN fields as Form Control filter fields with "Wildcards Display" options.

Unrortunately this is not a solution for me :(

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltán,
I'm back (got some urgent issues to address), but ... it seems to me that you've got lots of attention here; however, my trying to modify the P98210|W98210D isn't going to work - we have some policies here to NOT modify ANY OMW applications (our shop has more than 15 developers ...).

Hence, my question (modified) is; should I start playing with a new appl/frm?

Warm regards,

Hi Adrian,

Thanks again for your effort to help me with your test in my issue.

Can you not modify P98210 locally on a Full DEV client workstation? It does not need Check-Out. After the modification and test you can GET back the vanilla P98210 onto the client.

If it does not work for you then of course you can start playing with a new appl/frm. My suggestion is to use the previously mentioned VARLEN DD item instead of create a new one.

DD: OMWLDATA Object Management Log Data
Used in BSVW: V98211A Full View of F98211
Base on table: F98211 OMW Log Detail

Maybe you can use this BSVW for the test.

Just one more quesstion: on what level of SP(s) can you test it?

Thank in advance!

Zoltán

Hello Zoltán,
I am pretty busy these days :) therefore I can't help you.
Hope next week (if not too late) I'd be able to create a new form with VARLEN. I'm on SP 21_C.
Meanwhile, good luck!
Warm regards,

Hi Adrian,

First of all, thanks for your offered help.

I have already changed the data type of the DD Item from Variable String to String and I have made (hopfully) all checks and tasks that I supposed, it is necessary - so this "wild" wildcard problem has been solved.

It seems so, that your good-luck wish worked :)
(I lacked it)
Thanks!

Already there is no need to make your experiment wasting your time (though I am still very curious, how does it work on higher SP level).

Warm regards,

Zoltán

Back