VMWare, Citrix and JDE

Re: VMWare Performance

Andrew,

In addition to all of my cautions on JDE on VMware in this thread, I'll add this for your environment. REALLY DON'T DO IT. I noticed that you are back on 7.332 and SP11. You are already far behind the curve on your release and service pack. That release and service pack was released far far before vmware came along. To operate VMware effectively, you need to keep it patched and up to date on the OS. If you moved your environment over to that, you are in untested waters and just looking for unexpected bugs. If you move forward, do it with extreme caution and make sure it is WELL tested before you go live. Even at that, don't let them decommision your physical servers for at least a month in case you need to move back. If you moved anything, you could move the terminal servers. You would probably be ok with that. But keep your enterprise, deployment and app servers on real hardware.

Gregg, the anti-VMware guy.

We have 6 developers and a generation machine all on VmWare connected to a SAN without any issues. Accessed through remote desktop it is great for remote development. Snapshots are taken every 2 hours for faster recovery times and disk is expandable to allow more environments to be deployed to each WebDev client (current 4 environments deployed to each). We are looking at using VmWare for our deployment server and intel webserver BUT definetely not our enterprise server.

Re: VMWare Performance

[ QUOTE ]
Our SErver group is looking at moving our B7332 implementation to VMWare and after reading all of the replies/threads on this we are getting worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be getting worried. They are proposing a bad solution. Why are you still on B7332 ? and SP11 ? You need to be updating your implementation as soon as possible. you're running software 8 years old - I think VMWare is the last of your issues !!!!!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It was really helpful. We decided to go with VMWare for our Dev and Test environments but not Production.

Thanks!
Melissa

Good stuff. You'll get a lot of mileage out of running VMWare for your development environment.

One thing to consider - get a Citrix Development Server built. That way, you can get rid of ALL your fat clients - its a HUGE benefit. Look at my website for info on setting up the citrix development box. This can be a VMWare machine too if you wish !

Back