Visual Impairment

Tom_Drummond

I have a user who will need to use Oneworld who is visually impaired. Does anyone know if Oneworld can be used in conjunction with text to speech synthesisers or other similar software? Any advice would be appreciated as this person will use Oneworld on a regular basis.

This is an excellent question and it is a shame that nothing has been said. I apologise that I cannot comment directly about the speach synthesisers. I expect that this is highly unusual. However, I did want to offer a quick word of moral support - I have had a client who insisted upon using VERY LARGE BOLD font on his OneWorld Forms. When questioned on the matter he revealed that many of his operators were visually impaired...... So it is not as unusual as we might think.

Maybe others can share their experiences of using OneWorld with user with various other impairments or special circumstances? I am personally keen on touch screen technologies in shop floor environments.

I totally agree with Mark that accessibility to all software for persons
with disabilities is an important topic. As a person with a disability
myself, I have had a long term interest in this area of technology. Many of
the cool new technologies being developed today will benefit both those with
disabilities and those who are able-bodied.

One of the best websites for information on disabled access to computer
systems is http://www.w3.org/WAI/.

Andy Klee
www.JDETips.com

Windows has a "helpful" magnifying functionality. Start/Programs/Accessories/Accesability/Magnifier. They state that if the user requires regular and constant use, other utilities are suggested and they even give a link.
I have worked with visually impared clients in the past and will ask what they use....

Back