V4R5 to V5R2 Upgrade

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi List,
a client of ours needs to upgrade her AS400 from V4R5 to V5R2. I already know that I need to install SP23 for that.
My question is: can I install SP23 on the old AS400 version first, that is V4R5, to do the AS400 upgrade one weeekend later? I do not want to do both changes at the same time.
The client is runing on Xe, SP20.
Thanks, Gerd

Gerd, my company was on v5r2 and SP20 and we installed SP23 first before upgrading to v5r3. I think in our case, we were getting a new i550 which requires v5r3 and Oneworld SP23 was required for v5r3. I'm not sure about v5r2 but we ran with SP20 on it for along time with no problems.

To upgrade to V5R2, you do not have to have SP 23 on. We ran SP 21 on V5R2 with no issues. If you go to V5R3, you will need to go to SP 23. We have been running on V5R3 and SP23 for about 2 months with no issues.

I would recommend going to V5R3 because of the changed they made. One of the major changes is that they introducte another SQL engine that runs complex statments much faster.

My suggestion on the upgrade is upgrade to SP23 then V5R2 if you are going to do this. Don't make too many changes at once or you won't know where your issues may come from.

Back