Upgrade Best Practice

Soumen

Soumen

Reputable Poster
Dear Members,

I had a quick question related to JDE upgrade. I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some insight.

In our recent JDE upgrade assessment meeting with the client a question was raised how do we handle the change management in the old system (say Xe, if upgrading from Xe to 9.0).

Ideally we would run the spec merge once against the DV900 environment and hand over the E9 system to development for retrofitting. Suppose the time between retrofitting and actual Go-Live is 6 months. How do we handle and carry forward the changes performed in the existing Xe system during these 6 months?

A proposed development freeze on exisiting Xe system may not go down well with business.

I am assuming running the spec merge again against production E9 environment may not be feasible as it will undo the retrofitting effort.

A simple answer would be performing the changes on both Xe and E9 during this period but that may be a tedious job for the developers.

So what is the way forward in this scenario?

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,
Soumen

Soumen,

An XE code freeze is the best answer. The second best answer is for the business to really clamp down on any XE changes, and document them extensively.

If there will be code changes in XE, you can handle them two ways. Do co-development of the change in XE and 9.0. Or use boomerang to bring the changes up to 9.0. At my old job, we continued to code in XE and 9.0. The coding was planned for transportability. Once it was done in XE, we lobbed it over to 9.0. Many of the subsequent 9.0 changes were quite minor.

- Gregg

I would also second Greg on this. it is better to freeze the changes in Xe. The second best would be to disallow any major changes in Xe and divert them all to 9.0; documenting all the minor changes in Xe to bring them over to 9.0

Chan

Back