Unicode for Apps: Trademark and Copyright Symbols in Text

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Hi Team!

Here's a new one, for me.

When the client views descriptions within a application, they get a block symbol instead of a Micro-'TM' (Trademark) or Squirly-'C' (Copyright) symbol.

My first guess is that this is a Unicode issue within the Web Server setup?
My second guess is that we might have an incorrect Font set, either on a server or on the Web Server?

Short of opening a ticket with bOrgacle - I'm not finding a decent answer on the KG. I'm sure one of the All-Mighty JDEList CNC's has already conquered and is ready to share???

(db)

Hi Daniel

Have you managed to figure this one out yet? I've had a play around in our dev environment and by pressing ALT+0153 to get the symbol ™, this seems to display ok in fat client and on the webdev client.

Did your test work ok at this stage or have you had to build it to the webserver before you see the problem? If so, let me know and I'll ask our CNC guys to build my test so I can see what happens.

Thanks
Aidy

Hi Aidy,

Thank for your response.

By pressing the alt+0153 - I can create the micro TM, also.

Outstanding is our 'converted' data issue. We migrated from 8.0 to 9.0 on an iSeries. In 8.0 the symbols display correctly. In 9.0 - the symbols are blocks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oracle 'seems' to say that the issue is related to configuration of the database (the way the libraries were originally created).

Oracle Commented that DB2/400 should be set to Code Page Id 37 - while our system is set to 13488. Being that the libraries are already built - short of a new conversion, I'm not sure what to resolute.

To further the mix - Oracle and the CNC are at odds regarding how the libraries should be 'initially' created for Unicode (Code Set 37 or 13488)?

Current Config:
DB2/400 - Code Page ID 13488
Srv JDE.INI - LocalCodePage=37
Client JDE.INI - LocalCodePage=WE_ISO88591
Web Setting - codepage=1252

Anyone have some insight?

(db)

Plot thickens....

I run the following Query:
SELECT IMDSC1, VARCHAR(IMDSC1) VARCHAR FROM TESTDTA.F4101
WHERE IMLITM LIKE 'AB10%'

I get the following results:
IMDSC1 VARCHAR
------------------------------ ------------------------------
ABACUS PIN CLAMP ABACUS™ PIN CLAMP
ABACUS ROD TO ROD CONNECTOR ABACUS™ ROD TO ROD CONNECTOR
ABACUS HEX TO ROD CONNECTOR ABACUS™ HEX TO ROD CONNECTOR

There is an invisible character after the ABACUS text in the first column (in SQL and in JDE - it displays as the block character)

Trying to update IMDSC1 Value with the VARCHAR does not work - since is is simply replacing itself with itself...

Thoughts?

(db)

I'm in the process of being hexed by what might be a conversion issue.

I run the following queries:
SELECT IMDSC1, VARCHAR(IMDSC1), HEX(IMDSC1)
FROM TESTDTA.F4101 T1
WHERE HEX(IMDSC1) LIKE '0099%' OR HEX(IMDSC1) LIKE '%2122%'

I find that the TM Symbol has been converted to Hex 0099 instead of 2122

I can add a TradeMark symbol to the field - and it's Hex value is 2122 (which is Standard Unicodoe)

In the non-unicode table - the value of the TM symbol is 39.
In the Converted-Unicode table - the Hex Value where the TM Symbol should reside is 0099 (should have been 2122)

Is there something flawed in the conversion that is converting the Hex value from 39 to 0099 instead of 2122?

Column Definition for Non-Unicode is CCSID 37
Column Definition for Unicode is CCSID 13488

I need some CNC Suggestions, here - ANY THEORIES???

(db)

Back