Transfer Objects between Installs

custhe

Well Known Member
Hi List-
I work for one of two companies in the same building, and both of us went live this June with Xe. We have our own installs, running on separate servers. But we have similar business issues and challenges. I've developed some Apps & UBEs that they like, and vice versa. We'd like to do some horse trading... What is the best way to transfer objects between the two installs? I've heard ASUs mentioned, and in a recent post Igor mentioned TAM APIs for transferring objects. Can someone point me in the right direction?
TIA
Curtis

Curtis,

If you have OneWorld Product Packaging installed on your system the best way would be to build a package of the objects you want to transfer and create an ASU from that package using Product Packaging.

If Product Packaging is not installed you might want to try this "hack".

1. Copy (or ZIP) the TAM files in the spec folder of the DEV environment (make sure that it contains the latest specs for the objects to be transferred by doing a get or check out)

2. On the target system, again on a fat client, create an OMW project for the objects to be transferred. Add the names of the objects to be transferred to the project (do not go into design for the objects). This will create an entry in the Object Librarian tables for the objects.

3. Logoff OW, change the name of the current spec folder to something like "specbak", create a new spec folder and copy or unZip the TAM files copied in step 1.

3. Go back into OW and check the entire project in.

4. Logoff OW, delete the spec folder created in step 2 and rename the original spec folder back to "spec".

5. Now you can log back into OW, check out the objects and work with them as if they were originally created on the system.

Barry

Barry,

The 'hack' works great !! Thanks very much for your suggestion; we swapped a few objects to test, no problems at all. My instincts were along these lines, but not knowing what JDE stored where, I'm not sure we would have been brave enough to try without some surety that someone else had 'been there, done that'.

Has anyone tried this between XE and B9? Will this work for B9 as it is Unicode?.
Thanks.

Hi,
I have tried to use Save Location for moving objects from B7334 to B9
and it failed. I have asked the Response Line if such a transfer is
possible. The answer was no, but they did not explain exactly why.
Regards
Darek Zdanowski
XE SP22 XU3, B9 SP1 XU0

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Transfer Objects between Installs

Unicode?.Thanks.
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=67760
these messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control Panel,
then click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board posts by
email, change message notifications, etc." and adjust your subscription
preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

XE, ERP8, 8,9 SP22 IntelNT

What about copying central objects (C0) between environments and with all due consideration a back of the target CO. This is hacking at best but just an idea, no harm no foul.

I am not sure if you are trying to use omw but I do know if you are trying tranfer between two seperate instances of JDEB7333(XE subsystem) to JDEB7334 it does not work because you two seperate machine instances.

--
Senior Technical Consultant
17611 E. Tennessee Pl.
Aurora, CO 80017
Work 303-337-1906
Cell 303-885-1405
Fax 303-306-1800

Darek,

We sell a software tool, which can move Objects between any OMW-enabled releases.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of it. If you need more details, please, e-mail me directly...

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
http://www.pastuhov.com.au/index.htm

What does this price out at? I have some XE objects I would like to move
to an existing 7332 environment. Is this possible with minimal effort?

Alex_Pastuhov
<apastuhov@optush To: [email protected]
ome.com.au> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: Transfer Objects between Installs
jdeowdev-bounces@
jdelist.com

02/12/2004 05:48
PM
Please respond to
JDELIST One World
Developers
Discussions

Darek,

We sell a software tool, which can move Objects between any OMW-enabled
releases.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of it. If you need more details, please,
e-mail me directly...

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
http://www.pastuhov.com.au/index.htm
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to: http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat
=&Board=OWDEV&Number=67841

This is the JDELIST One World Developers Mailing List. To stop receiving
these messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control
Panel, then click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board
posts by email, change message notifications, etc." and adjust your
subscription preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

Oracular has a product called ViceVersa which works really well. I have tested this product and I like it. Their tech staff is responsive. They are in the US which makes calling for support much easier.
|

I all, I used boomerang tool from pastuhov consulting for somme migrations from XE to ERP 8 or ERP 9, and it works great, usefull and fast.

I always use it to package some projects I developpe and I sell them to my customers for specific solutions (the unziper is FREE)

Regards, Franck

We are currently evaluating the Boomerang product, and I must say I am quite impressed! The simplicity of the product and interface is great, as well as the cost. Our company will be primarily using it as a Product Packaging solution, so that we can ship custom objects to our customers. What's even better is that the importing program (Boomerang Lite) is free, so our customers don't have to purchase Boomerang to use our custom objects.

We also looked at Vice Versa by Oracular. This does a lot more than Boomerang. You can tightly integrate it with the OMW application for backing up of objects that you check-in and check-out, but it also comes with a hefty pricetag. And, they don't have a free importing tool (like Boomerang Lite), so our customer would have to purchase it as well, or we'd have to distribute it under a licensing agreement, which would increase our costs.

hi, i have a question for you, what about the keyspec for every object, i think is diferent for every spec folder?

I am not sure what you mean by "keyspec". However, I have used this method of transporting developed objects for years....demo to demo, demo to fat client, fat client to demo...without any problems. I have even successfully transported between XE and ERP8 fat clients....but I don't recommend it in this situation.

Barry

I have been able to transfer from B7334 to E810 successfully with no additional software. The steps all have to be done in the later release, and the transfer is only one way (old to new). The steps are:

1. Add the old release to the release master (if it isn't already there)
2. Create data sources back to your other release (DD, OL, CTL, CO, VER, SY, etc)
3. Create path code to the old release
4. Set up an environment to the old release (this is what OMW uses)
5. Check the release compatibility master (P00946) to see if the desired migration is there. If the desired conversion is not there, OWM will not let you transfer.
6. Set up a new project status to transfer from/to for ald release
7. Set up transfer rules to move the objects from the old release to the new release (when I did it, I had to leave the same status in the from and to)

Using this process, I have been able to transfer objects from B7334 to E810 by doing a check out from B7334 and a check in to E810. There have been minor issues that I have noticed, and managed to work around.

Back