Time Accounting

DPonder

DPonder

Does anyone use JDE just for time entry and interface to a 3rd party system for payroll administration?

Diane
ERP8 B7334 SP22
AS/400

I am really surprised if one would try to do that. In order to do correct time entry a lot has to be done before you even begun.

You have to setup employee master with correct information. Pay types have to be defined. Shift codes have to be establish if you do Shift time calculation. There is a lot of stuff which needs to be setup before you can start doing time entry. Oh I forgot to mention setting up GL.

Why would you like to do that is my question ?

Please let me restate the question. Currently, we use JDE for Financials and Job Costing. We have not used JDE HR/Payroll because we use Ceridian for payroll administration. We are investigating time entry systems as our company is getting ready to increase employees by a significant number such that we do not feel we will be able to produce the payroll in the time allowed. We do not want to use the JDE Payroll and run in-house. We will still outsource our payroll to Ceridian, but we need a faster, more efficient time entry system.

I'm not suggesting that we can do time entry without setup in JDE, I'm just asking if there is someone out there that uses JDE for time entry, but still sends their payroll to an outside source for processing.

Has anyone else done this?

Diane
ERP8 B7334 SP22
AS/400

so you just want to know if anybody has done that.

You dont need to know what it will take to do such kind of processing.

TE requires lot of validation. Best bet will be to write up a custom grid, enter time there and send data out from your custom table. JDE doesnt have any interoperability for TE going outbound like it has for Address book.

We cannot satisfy our time entry with a simple grid. That is why we are evaluating time entry systems. Our company is a "Field Fabricator" with jobsites all over the country. We are subject to taxes from multi-states and localities. Overtime and double time rules are controlled by the local union contract. Our payroll clerk must do all of the distribution of costs manually. We are in the process of evaluating doing time entry either in JDE, which we have the license for or purchasing a time & attendance system from Ceridian for 100K.

Diane
ERP8 B7334 SP22
AS/400

It is good to utilize what you have but since your payroll is already a seperate system than its better go that route.

All the things you mentioned are calculated and maintained by JDE in its PAYROLL module. It can do all the things you mentioned. Even cost can be distributed into multiple branches/Divsions using labor distribution. But if you go that far in JDE and then utilize another software to do final Paycheck, It will be better to do it entirely in Ceridian.

JDE has created capabilities in ERP 8 to interface directly with ADP, an
outside Payroll processing system.

We have seen several World and XE clients that want the Address Book and
Payroll EE master capabilites in JDE, without the legal hassle of processing
payroll. Thus they use outside Payroll processing companies. Interfaces to
these packages can be easily created in batch.

Ironically, the new wave we are seeing is XE clients that want Peoplesoft
HR/Payroll (the Cadillac)with interfaces to OneWorld Address Book and
General Ledger. Easily done as a batch interface.

We use Kronos for our time keeping. While I wasn't part of the implementation, the analyst who did the implementation like the product. Our end users love the product, myself included. Our payroll is handled internally using Infinium with the possibility of switching that over to JDE/PeopleSoft at some point in the future. Hope this helps.

Diane,
We use the Time Accounting functionality for entering all gross pay records for employees, letting JDE journalize Project Direct costs, Indirect costs, and calcing/distributing flat burden. These records are currently keypunched from paper (not using self service), although we are in the process of implementing a 3rd party front-end labor collection system that will feed the same F06116 table.

We then created a simple export UBE to create a summarized flat file from the F06116 (or F0618 History table) to present to ADP, which does all of our gross-to-net calcs & paychecks.

We also have the Time Entry proc options set to feed to WO Hours & Quantities on the Mfg side, although it sounds like you wouldn't use that piece.

Diane,

The method Curtis explained, using JDE for time accounting and outsourcing payroll is fairly common, as the majority of JDE clients do not use the Payroll/HR modules. The out of the box JDE time entry interface may not be as slick as others such as kronos, but it will get the job done. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Back