Take out no value page

lisachew

Hello,

Does anyone know how to stop the report from printing page that has no value?

For example: now one of my report is printing all the commodity class from F4102, based on data selection of Business Unit and Location(F4111). SO one commodity class may have many items.

And the report actually printing those pages where there are no item exist and no value at all. This will waste a lot of papers. From page 1-10, maybe page 6 and 9 has no value.

I did think of suspress section write of every each of the section which is printing the report with no value(is there any better way?) but can anyone help me on whether can I make the report not to print those empty pages at all? As the report was printed in dot matrix so all the papers are stick together and the user will not want to cut of certain pages just for that.

Please help as this is urgent, plus I am not sure whether is there any other way to do it. Not too familiar on it also.

If need more clarification I will be willing to explain more.

Thank you very much.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
Intel NT4-service pack 6A
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Hi Lisa,

1. Suppress Section Write should do the trick for you.

2. If not write to a temporary file and avoid the unwanted entries while
pushing records to the temp file.

3. Use the temp file to print.

Cheers ;)
Sid

----Original Message Follows----
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Take out no value page
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:32:02 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Does anyone know how to stop the report from printing page that has no
value?

For example: now one of my report is printing all the commodity class from
F4102, based on data selection of Business Unit and Location(F4111). SO one
commodity class may have many items.

And the report actually printing those pages where there are no item exist
and no value at all. This will waste a lot of papers. From page 1-10, maybe
page 6 and 9 has no value.

I did think of suspress section write of every each of the section which is
printing the report with no value(is there any better way?) but can anyone
help me on whether can I make the report not to print those empty pages at
all? As the report was printed in dot matrix so all the papers are stick
together and the user will not want to cut of certain pages just for that.

Please help as this is urgent, plus I am not sure whether is there any other
way to do it. Not too familiar on it also.

If need more clarification I will be willing to explain more.

Thank you very much.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://www.jdelist.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=27240
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE Developers mailing list / forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \`@"
/_| \__/ |_\
\__U_/
===================================
Siddhartha Arya
Analyst Programmer
BBS Electronics Pte. Ltd
12 Genting Road, The Blue Building,
Singapore 349474
+65-90670625
===================================
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on
-- Robert Frost

Lisa,

it seems that you try to print data from F4111 sorted by
commodity class, am i right ?

in this case, you could build a business view linking F4111
and F4102 where you select the commodity class from F4102.
(F4111 is the "primary" table on the view)
This way, you will get ONLY the commodity class attached to
items present in F4111.

You can them sort on the commodity class and shoudn't get
any blank page.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Philippe

One World B7333 SP16 AS400

I take it you are not talking about removing the "No Data Selected" blank Page.
THe blank page, is therefore likely to be caused by either invoking a Custom "Print Blank Page" section, or by one of your non-printing (due to no data found) having a "Page Break" sort sequence set.

If it is the case of "Sort Sequence Page Breaking", then you can get around this, by manually coding a page break yourself.

Hope this helps,

Peter Hamilton
B7332 SP14, Windows NT, Unix

Hello Sid,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Well, I tried to do the suspress section write and i found that it was not possible to do it on the level breaks.

I was thinking at first to suspress section write on the all the section base on if the BC 2nd Item NUmber = blank. But seems like the page that did not print the 2nd item number is not that it has no item but because the location that was entered by the user is not tally with the item in F4111. So that is why it does not print and has no value.

From your other suggestion, suggesting that I print it in a temporaryly file? Can you elaborate on it please? As I am still in the stage of catching up on this development tool so sometimes I do need some explaination :).

Or is there anyway that I can force the report not to print those no value page?

Please advice again.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Hello Peter,

Yes I am not talking about removing the "No Data Selected" blank page. But from your explaination I am not quite understand on what you meant. Can you please elaborate more on it?

Well, actually the report will print all the commodity class that is in F4102. And then this F4102 are link to F4111 to get the items according to commodity class.

Eg
F4102 primary keys: mcu & itm (where it link to F4111). But must be based on the PRP1 in the F4102.
F4102: PRP1,ITM,MCU -> F4111: ITM,MCU

So the report prints all the PRP1(commodity class) in F4102. And if the location which is entered by the user does not tally with the MCU in F4111 then no item will be printed out. Meaning that the report will only print zero value in the total.

So from here how can I actually stop it from printing page that is zero value?

Please advice again.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Hello Phillipe,

Well, I did think about doing it (as this will be lot easier in a way) but then if I choose this way then there will be a lot of the versions that I need to change(which is time consuming). Furthermore, this report is kinda urgent for the user.

Anyway, you mentioned that F4111 should be the primary table? What if user is selecting commodity class in the data selection? Will this affect anything? I think if user is selecting the commodity class then we have to refer to F4102 as the primary table??

Please advice more.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

The "Supress Section Write" function will only take effect if it is called from within the DO_SECTION or COLUMN_INCLUSION event.

An explanation of the Page Break, is, you create a blank custom group section, with the flag "Page Break After". And then call this custom section to force a page break.

It sounds like the blank page is printing on one of your break Sections (with flag, page break). You could then, remove the flag page break, and manually code the page break yourself.

Cheers,

Peter Hamilton
B7332 SP14, Windows NT, Unix

Lisa,

You could see using a join business view as building a
workfile. If the business view is based on F4111 linked to
F4102, you can use the commodity class as if it was part of
F4111 and you were reading that file only.

That should work just fine...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Philippe

Lisa,

one more thing. Using F4102 as the primary table, in your
case, would work as well as long as you link on ITM and MCU.
If you were to link on ITM only, you would duplicate all
your mouvements (multiply a given mouvement in F4111 by the
number of occurence of ITM in F4102).
As a general rule, and to avoid duplicates, try to link
file using the Transaction file as a primary and the
masters as secondary

cheers

Philippe

Philippe

Thank you very much for your advice.

Well, I need more information on the way F4102 and F4111 interact. As I am quite confuse.

Well, since currently I am using F4102 as the business view. And data selection will be branch-MCU, commodity class-PRP1 from F4102 and location-LOCn from F4111. It seems that it prints those pages that have no item data is because:

Eg:
if user select Branch=100300 and location=URMS and commodity class = everything.

then the report will print all the commodity class regardless it tally with the location=URMS or not. If it does not tally means it will print only the commodity class without any items or value(this is the page where i need to hide).

Question: if i choose F4102 as the primary table to link F4111 accordong to MCU and ITM/LITM, will it not be occuring the same case?

If I choose the F4111 as the primary table, then will it sort each commodity class in each new page as its in the data selection?
Meaning commodity class of HAR, TW and ELE will always be in the new page, so the report will print 3 pages. From my view on the report logic I think it may not. Maybe you have a better idea?

I hope that you are able to understand my explaination and not get too confuse on it.

Thanks again. Very much appreciate your help and advice.

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Lisa,

From my understanding, you have 2 sections:
- the first one based on a business view on F4102 that
lists your commodity class
- a sub section, joined on the first one by ITM, MCU that
lists the movements of the items matchnig this commodity
class

Am i right?
So if there is no data in the second section, you still
printed the first one, which acts like a level break
header, printing the information on the branch and the
commodity class

By creating a join business view linking F4111 to F4102,
you need only one section, sequence by MCU, Commodity Class
and ITM. MCU and Commodity class are level breaks

Now define a level break section on Commodity class, that
is what you use to print the information on the branch and
the commodity class.
That will do the trick since there will be no data selected
for those commodity class where you have no movements.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Philippe

Hello Philiipe,

Thanks for your advice again. I appreciated it a lot.

Anyway, here I will feedback to you in order to see whether did I interpreted the right information from your previous reply or not.

So from your explanation, now I need to recreate another report based on a new business view linking F4111(primary table) to F4102? Only one section exist? And then data sequencing as follows: MCU,(Location),commodity class, item. (Maybe I need to include location as this will be selected by user in the data selection)

And then, I will create a level break header of Commodity Class where I print out the Branch , Location & Commodity Class?

So from this method, when the user selected MCU & location & (all commodity class)...the report will only print out pages that contains items information?

Am I right?

-=Just to refresh=-
*The pages prints only the level-break header(commodity class) eventhough it has no item. Why there's no item? It's because that when user select a location, and those items under a specific commodity class may not have the same location as user selected. So it will not print the item but only prints the commodity class header.*

Thanks again!

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Lisa,

Yes, this is right... And I forgot to include the Location
in the sequencing.

Give it a shot and let us know the results

Cheers

Philippe

Hello,
Regarding this matter, well, I have discuss with one of my colleage who did this report. And from her point of view that it is better to just hide or take out tat page where it does not print any item value. Would it be possible.

If not can you state why and the best solution. I hope this is not too much of a request as I need some proof to show her. Because right now the only better way that I see is of course using the F4111 as primary table in creating the business view. She does not agree. So that is why I need some prove to convince her that its ok.

Sorry for troubling you again.

Best regards

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Tough collegue huh ?

Well, if the information about the Commodity Class is printed on a level break header, it is going to be difficult to use the hide (or rather "Suppress Section Write") system function as the only way for you to know if you have record is to count them on the section itself.
But by then, you header is already printed...

Another solution could be to do our favorite Select - Fetch next loop on F4111 selecting on MCU, PRP1 and LOC (I guess...) on the Level Break header to count the matching record and to issue the Suppress Section Write if the result is zero...

Sounds like a lot of trouble (and a potential performance issue) for nothing!

But then again, now that you are an expert with Table IO ...

Cheers

Philippe

Back