Table Conversions - Practice

Pardha

Hi List,

I have a general question about Table Conversions. In our company we have 10+ third party systems which interact with EnterpriseOne on a daily basis. Some of these interfaces run once every 5 minutes. These interfaces were developed long time ago and all of them were Table Conversions. Most of you know that there is no PDF output in table conversions. Furthermore, table conversions lack exception handling capabilities as well.

My question is, what is the main purpose of Table Conversions in the JDE Tool set. Why were they created as part of tool set in the first place. Conventional UBE can do everything that a Table Conversion can perform. It is, sure, difficult to read and parse flat file data.

Does anyone know what "table conversion" programs are for?

Thanks,
Pardha

Parda,

The Table Conversion remains - for those that are quite familiar with them, the quickest/dirtiest means to do direct input/output within JDE.

They were intended to do Data Dumps - in a very simplistic process, to externally defined systems and/or flat files.

(db)

Thanks for the reply.

In our situation we are using table conversions for processing flat files into JDE. We recently switched to TIDAL for running the interfaces. We were using UBE Commander. What we noticed was "UBE Commander was kicking off the table conversion however; for some unknown reason table conversion program stops responding" Unfortunately we don't get any PDF out of the process.

Is it a good practice to use table conversions for psudo real time interfaces?

Thanks,
Pardha

I see you already provided a very good answer yourself Pardha
grin.gif

If you are NOT happy with your table conversions, go ahead and replace them.
I did that, and am using now both SQL jobs AND regular UBEs.
PS Unfortunately "..for some unknown reason" our E1 scheduler stops responding every couple of months - I guess that's why you went for Tidal, among other reasons
blush.gif

Long answer made short, as Daniel was saying: good practice is what makes your system work.

Back