Suppressing ,00 values in tables

stevie

Hi!

Is there a way I can actually suppress PeopleSoft writing ,00 values (numeric fields) to tables when the value is actually blank/Null? Can I channge something in the Data Dictionary or do an insert with a variable with the value "blank"?

Example: If you look at the URRT field in the F47046 you see all ,00 values when it should be blank.

Thanks!
Stevie

Stevie,

if the field in question (FYI I don't have any URRT data item in my DD) is a numeric data type in the database then you cannot write blanks into it. A numeric field is a numeric field - period - and is NOT stored with any formatting. I suspect you're confusing the presentation of a numeric field with how its stored.

If you're viewing the table contents using UTB or a E1 Application then, yes, you can change the display rule in the Data Dictionary (or as an application specific DD override) to CODE Z - which is Zero Suppress - see DD alias URAB for an example.

I strongly suggest that you only make your presentation/formatting changes in an App or UBE rather than changing the DD item - unless you're sure you won't be affecting other areas of the system by your change.

Hi Larry

Thanks for your quick reply. I actually meant the URAT (User Reserved Amount) instead of the URRT. This is a numeric field so I guess I'll have to live with ,00 in the table.

Thanks again
Stevie

Stevie,

what are you trying to accomplish? In other words why write blanks to the DB?

My EDI tables will be interfacing with another application that needs to see blanks when there are blanks and zero's when there are zero's (export to a textfile) :) At the moment we can't see a difference in the table between a value of zero or blank and apparently there is a big difference between the value zero and the value blank.

Back