SQL 2005 ERP8/XE any news?

bradbeckett1

Any news on the ERP8/XE Sql 2k5 front?

I'm installing a new DB server this month. I'm trying to avoid installing SQL 2K if 2k5 is going to be supported in the next month or 2.

Anyone heard anything from Denver on SP24 release date? (or a SP23 one off that supports SQL 2k5).

Thanks,
Brad

No news yet - but I wasn't expecting to hear until late Feb - possibly later even than that (perhaps an announcement at Quest Global ?)

I'd be expecting a SP23 service pack one-off that supports the driver.

However. What exactly are you planning on doing ? If you're planning on just installing non-JAS, then you should be able to go ahead and utilize SQL2K5 right now. The JDBC driver is the real issue at hand with the update - standard ODBC driver should operate correctly. If you're planning on installing a test box - then go ahead. If you're planning on installing production - then you should wait until at least the THIRD one-off after initial SQL2K5 support (late 2007).

Only Fat and Tservers right now, possible looking at doing a JAS setup but that's at least 6 to 12 months down the road (SQL 2k5 is more important)

My hope was they'd support it by Mid Feb, I'd then get 6 weeks to test before go live on the new DB server that I want running by the end of March. I only have a 3 month window out of the year I can flip servers easily and if it's not up and running by April 1st on 2k5 I'm not going to get another chance to upgrade until Jan/Feb 2008.

I have another project that is specifically designed for 2k5. It has a small foot print and user base, trying to stay with one SQL server.

Yes I know I'd be bleeding edge but I'm not overly concerned because of my simple setup. (4 fat clients, 3 Tservers, 2 enterprise, and 1 DB) I’m going to bring the new server up on 64bit/2k5 and see how it runs in PY….

ok - heres my recommendation.

1. If this is for a production customer, then stick to SQL2000 and upgrade when full support comes out.
2. If, on the other hand, this is for testing / proof of concept - then go ahead. SQL2K5 works perfectly well for ODBC connectivity (deployment server/app server/clients) - the major issue is over the JDBC driver, which is what 8.96 has now come out with support for (and what is sticky for SP23 support) - so your push for JAS servers will definately have to wait.
3. I am still unsure about the benefit of running SQL2K5 in 64bit mode over 32bit mode - but, if you have the 64bit server, then go for it ! Remember, you absolutely need to ensure that the database is separate - no JDE code should try and run on that box whatsoever.

Good luck. Please ensure you post any issues/discoveries to JDEList ! I'm personally in the midst of an 8.96 development install on SQL2K at home and I plan on documenting the best upgrade plan to SQL2K5 on my install. I'm also looking at using Oracle AS and I'm considering benchmarking Oracle AS vs Websphere (you heard it first here !!!)

I am installing 8.12 update1 8.96_G1 SQL 2005 / Windows and am having problems getting my JAS to work and getting my porttest to work.

I am using VMWare (not by choice) and have the Deployment Server on one VM, JAS / WebSphere on another VM and the Enterprise Server and SQL 2005 DB server on another VM. This is just a proof of concept as the client knows that VMWare is not supported by Oracle.

They also insist on keeping their 13 character machine names. So I have had a few challenges.

I have only installed DV812 and PS812 environments. My PS812 seems okay but my DV812 is having issues. My porttest fails on both environments. Any suggestions on what I might do to get my porttest working? I will attach the jde.log from my porttest attempt for those of you that may be interested in helping me out.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• 115931-jde_3028.log.txt
    75.4 KB · Views: 156
Hi,

Your PORTTEST logs seem like it's unable to reach any
of the SQL tables. So, my questions would be :

1. Have you checked Server OCM entries for DV and PS?
2. Have you created ODBC entries on the server?
3. What about your server's JDE.INI? You should attach it
too...

Finally, I strongly suggest you to avoid server with
machine names longer than 10 characters.
I've been struggling for two months with that PortTest
, Scheduler and Security Server issues until I finally
decided to shrink servername to 10 characters and
these problems magically disappeared.

Here is the screenprint from the porttest. It finds the first table okay but fails on the F0902.

I have my ES and Database server on the same VM.

Do I have to re-install all components if I can change my server names to 10 characters 'on-the-fly'? If not, what tables need to be modified to reflect the new host name(s)?

Thanks for your help.

James

P.S. Not sure how to attach more than one file at a time.

Attachments

• 115938-porttest.txt
    816 bytes · Views: 121
Hi,

In that case, it seems that it just can access your
Business Data datasources.

Please, go to your ES server, Control Panel, ODBC,
System Data Sources and check them against those on
the Deployment.

You should have the same Business Data entries on
both servers.

For the 10 chars issue, my personal preference is to
reinstall from scratch and run a new plan, however that
will take quite some time.

I know that there's a doc from JDE that explain how
to rename servers and which tables will be affected,
unfortunately I don't have it.

Regards,

Why is this under this topic ? Eric - can you clean this up so that its under a new thread ? Why is it that it is more frequently occurring that people are posting off-topic "help me" questions ?

Once this is on a new thread, I'll be happy to help with your issue !

Back