Upgrade Specifc UBE Appl Versions from XE -> E910

JDE0101

Hi all,

We have XE instance running in Production and we have a new E910 install running on complety seperate kit that we re panningto go live on.

We have identified thousands of XE Versions that we would like to bring over for specific standard objects. For example P4210 we want to bring over 100 of our versions that we have created in the past. This repeats for other applications such as R43500, P4310 etc. The aim is to avoid manually having to create all these versions..

I've had a look an we don't want to copy over any specs for P4210 R43500 etc since the old XE spec is customised and obviously out of date.

So, we need to run the spec merge to kick of the version upgrade to get these however this poses some questions as to avoid merging spes but get versions only

If i bring over the XE versions tables and drop them into my E910 DM910 environment (which is really an XE staging environmen) and run the spec upgrade over DM910 it will fnd no merged/customised flags in OL but still upgrade the versions and hence produce the desired outcome?

I'm also wondering will Bommerang or other 3rd party products make my life easier?

Opinions welcome but we do need the versions upgraded. Manually creating is not an option!

E910, SQL Server 2008, Windows 208R2, WLS WebServer

Even if the merge works, these versions will need to be all touched up one by one manually, because the PO Templates have changed.

Many data selections may also become invalid in the new release.

So it would probably be easier to re-create them manually from scratch.

Not too many people will tell you this on this forum, but you are setting yourself up for failure.

Just do the upgrade like the documentation says to. Upgrades with IV do not bring over "specs". Upgrades with BVs will not work unless you do bring over the specs.

If you want to get rid of specific versions later, that is an easy task.

So, example

lets say I have identifed 2 XE objects where i want to bring over ONLY a subset of the total versions for

R0005P : Want to bring over 6 out of the 300 XE Custom Versions
P4210 : Want to bring over XE 100 out of the 300 custom Versions

I should therefore update my OL Flags to ensure these get picked up in "stadard spce merge via my upgrade plan" and this wil by default bring over ALL 600 versions and then I simply remove those not wanted via standard OMW / SQL Practices?

I guess what i dont want to do is to bring over the P4210 / R0005P XE specs or OL history but i might consider not tryig to sub set the version if you can ensure tha the 910 specs dont get merged or replaced but all the versions are thre??

Back