Slow running reports

peterban

peterban

Reputable Poster
Hi,
being an apps person I dont really get involved with the development side too much.
However at a client a new report over the F0911/F0901/F0006 (lots of records !) is running as fast as grass growing...

Has anyone got some general guide lines on indexes (or anything!) that could speed this up.

Many thanks and merry xmas!

Peter

well for starters, i'd make sure that the item(s) being selected (data selection) are included in the table(s) indexes........is the initial selection the performance hog or is there some performance hogging processing within the UBE (cfor example conditional sections being called from within a driver section using the same BSVW or a lotta table I/O etc)?

You may need to fill in alittle more detail to get specific advice but in general you need first to look at where the "slow" bit is. A first step is to use the Performance Workbence tool which will look at the log files and in particular the timing gaps which may give some clues.
Also look at whether it is consistently slow, slow on a fat client as well as on the server, slow at "quiet times" if you have any. If it's always slow then you are probably down to the DBA/CNC level of analysing the problem and that does get quite specific to the kit in question and its configuration

I would look at the ube log to see what is causing the slowness. Usually, it is the data fetching from database taking up all the time. From the log, you can spot which SQL select statement is taking too much time, and from there, you can also see the clause (where GLDOC=...). Base on that to build index accordingly.

Guys,

many thanks for these suggestions - since its Xmas I'll be looking at this in the New Year, but this has certainly given me food for thought!

Many thanks and Merry Xmas

Peter

Back