Service Orders

prasach

Hi List,

This is with reference to the integration of service orders with the normal manufacturing cycle.Normally the service orders are created manually.Also the BOM & routings which are attached to the service orders may not be the normal one ie 'M' type.So my question is that now to integrate with the manufacturing cycle.Ther is no need to run the MPS since work order is already created.But if there is a manufactured item in the BOM of the service orderthen how the child work order will be processed.Same is the case of routing.Because what i have found that when we run the MRP system uses the standard BOM & routing which is not the case with service orders.
Is integration with manufacturing cycle possible or service orders are to be completed manually.?If yes can anyone give me the steps.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sachin Bhate

Sachin,

Your question does beg the Question: what do you want to do this for!!?? Indeed, Manufacturing is hardcoded in MRP and Costing to use Bill Type "M". But Manufacturing is for Making things. Service Orders are for fixing things. You CAN us Bill Type "M" but that is a standard BoM because Manufacturing always uses the same Items to make something. It is very unusual for a Service to always require the same spare parts.

If you really wish to allocate a Forecast for the Inventory Parent Item Number then you can theoretically plan for the purchase of long lead time spares as long as those spares are used in every service. The alternative path is to use PM's through the Equipment Management system to create Forecasts for the Spares and then use DRP to create the Purchase Order requirements.

BoM's, MRP and Service Orders don't mix to well. Maybe you should let us know what you are trying to do! It doesn't make any sense. Read the Equipment Management Manual - the answer is in there, NOT in CSMS.

Sachin & MBrow
The "service" order being discussed is a "replacement part" example a control panel. You build the item for production, but someone out in the field is needing a new - replacement item. This may be what Sachin is relating.

Lori - Manufacture of Spares? Well, this is a different matter... These Items maybe Phantoms in the BOM such that their components always appear on the WO Parts List. Phantoms can be forecasted, planned, stocked and manufactured through regular WO's, no problem at all. Just don't call them "service orders"!

Does this help?

You bring up a very interesting point. Are you telling me it is possible to
schedule, stock, and inventory phantoms in JDE? I have been told by various
consultants and JDE itself that this can't be done. I would be most
interested in knowing how you are managing this as it may prove to be a
useful method for my company.

Lori Gibbs
BOM Supervisor
Lochinvar Corp
300 Maddox Simpson Parkway
Lebanon, TN 37090
[email protected]
615-889-8901 ext 2222

Lori Gibbs
OWXE, Windows 2000, SQL 2000, Update 4, SP 18.1, Win NT

You bring up a very interesting point. Are you telling me it is possible to schedule, stock, and inventory phantoms in JDE? I have been told by various consultants and JDE itself that this can't be done. I would be most interested in knowing how you are managing this as it may prove to be a useful method for my company.

Hi Mark,

Sorry for not being a part of the discussion for long.Actaully we thought of a workaround & it is working okay.I want your opinion on that.
We have thought of using the RMA for this.Her we can enter as a RMA & create a sale order or a spares order.Before confirming the line we can change the item as required for repair or spares so that the system creates a demand for the proper item & also we can still track the original serial number.We can enter a RMA thru a service order or thru a call.I hope this workaround should be okay.Any suggestions?

Regards

Sachin

Hi Lori,

Sorry for not being a part of the discussion for long.Actaully we thought of a workaround & it is working okay.I want your opinion on that.
We have thought of using the RMA for this.Her we can enter as a RMA & create a sale order or a spares order.Before confirming the line we can change the item as required for repair or spares so that the system creates a demand for the proper item & also we can still track the original serial number.We can enter a RMA thru a service order or thru a call.I hope this workaround should be okay.Any suggestions?

Regards

Sachin

OK Guys!

I think this thread has now split into two entirely different topics: Sachin IS talking about CSMS Service Orders - Sachin PLEASE confirm this.

Lori as talking about Phantoms on Manufacturing. I would welcome someone putting me right on this but I have never heard a Consultant suggest that Phantoms cannot be manufactured, planned or stocked. I am sure I am right on this. Check the Processing Options to R3482: you CAN get a Time Series and Messages (F3413/F3411) to plan Phantoms. Why would it let you do this if you cannot Plan for Phantoms? If you can plan for Phantoms then you can make them. If you can make them then you can store them. Phantoms are used by Planning & SFC as Pseudo Items. Check this for yourself. MRP may try and consume your Spares stock on Parts Lists. This is the classic way you setup stock becoming obselete and was subject to a White Paper on the Knowledge Garden for years....

Getting back to our Sachin and the RMA. I am bewildered as I have no idea what the link between RMA's and Bills of Materials are? The RMA is a back to back Sales Order/Purchase Order for Customers to return there faulty equipment, for you to book it in and then ship a replacement. It doesn't create a Service Order. I guess we don't understand what the original problem was. Please Sachin, what are you trying to do? I am sorry I don't understand. Can anyone else out there let me know what the interpretation of this issue is? Thanks.

Sachin,

I interpret your question as: can I manufacture Spares with a Manufacturing Work Order when the demand came from a Service Order Spares Parts List. I have no idea how you are solving this problem with an RMA!?

To answer your question (if I now interpret it correctly). The Manufacturing and CSMS Service Order system should work seamlessly side-by-side. OF COURSE, if you don't attach your list of spares ("Parts List") to the Service Order it will attempt to use the Standard Bill of Material. Therefore you hold the Service Order back at a status outside of inclusion rules for MRP until such time as you have attached the Parts Lists. Routes are irrelevant to this discussion. In the Processing Options to Service Orders you define the Bill & Route Types which should NOT be "M" - I use "REP" but you can define anything you like.

When the Mfg WO for the Spare is created then it will have its own Manufacturing Work Order with a Bill/Route Type "M" and is unrelated to the Service Order Demand.

You may wish to browse the Equipment Management Manual from JDE as it deals better with the integration of Service Orders and the Manufacturing Modules. However, please understand that Service Orders are outside the MPS because they are created ad hoc from a Customer Demand created when the Customer Phones up with a requirement for you to fix their Equipment. You cannot Forecast for this because the Spares required are unpredictable. In Equipment Management you can create Spares Forecasts using the PM Schedules. However, the Forecast is for the Spares, NOT the Finished Goods Inventory Item therefore there is no confusion between SALES Forecast and SERVICE ORDER Forecast.

Do not muddle these two up! The Service Order creates demand for Spares but will never receipt the Finished Goods to Inventory. Is your concern that you see all the Service Orders due for Receipt of FG? You can split out your MRP & MPS with different Inclusion Rules so that the MRP only plans for the Spares. However, I am going out on a limb here and this may not all work properly. It needs thorough testing through.

Hi Mark,

Sorry i could not reply for 3-4 days as i was on leave.Thanks for the caution .I will test the workaround carefully before we implement it.I think i will explain in detail what i have in mind.The client wants to use planning for the service orders.If we create a service order thru the CSMS systems then we cannot use the MPS,MRP .We have to process this orders manually.Also we have to enter the service order for the parent item only as the serial number link is only for the parent item.But actually the requirement is not for the parent item but only for a particular item/items which has to be replaced or sent as a spare.So we have decided to ceate a sales order with different order type(SP) thru RMA.Just before we confirm the line in the RMA we can change the item number so that the sales order or spares order as we can call it is raised only for the spare item.by doing this we can solve two things ie we can maintain the CSMS record by the serial number link & raise the demand only for the particular item.I do not how to explain it further.I am still working on it an as you said it will require a lot of testing.This is just a workaround which i am suggesting.
Waiting for your reply.

Regards

Sachin

I think you might have to draw pictures! Seriously though, I understand that you wish to replace Components on the Customer's Equipment? Hence the RMA. OK, fine. Do you wish to Manufacture the Spare and deliver it to Stock as a Serialised Component? This can be done with a regular Work Order - I am not sure why you wish to use a CSMS Service Order because this does not deliver finished goods.

I conclude that you are using the Serialised Component on the Parts List to the Service Order? What does that do for you? You do have a "Changeout" option on the Service Order but the Service Order becomes a vehicle for a swap of the Parent item, not a component. Are you trying to maintain the Parent/Child Relationship? The P12017 can be used for this - as can P1701. Do you have Install Base records for your Components?

By the sounds of it your Components are serialised but not on Install Base? In which case, issuing them through P31113 will maintain Traceability.

In short - I do not see anything that cannot be solved by JDE out of the box. What are you working around?

Back