Search for Unread Posts

peterbruce

peterbruce

Legendary Poster
Eric,

While you are doing your upgrading, is it possible to do a search for unread posts or add that functionality to the Search Page?

Each forum identifies your unread posts by color. Why would you want to search on unread posts?

Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

Identification of unread posts by colour is something of which I am not aware and have not experienced - do I need to set this up?

My experience is as follows:

The number of unread posts for each forum are identified on the main index page in brackets. However after viewing the forum page, without actually viewing any posts, and then returning to the main index page, the numbers in brackets are not there.

When viewing the forum the threads are listed in reverse date order and the number of unread posts are identified in brackets after the number of posts for each thread against the first post of each thread. The actual unread posts are not identified.

When viewing a thread, unread posts are identified by highlighted "NEW" in the post header.

I find JDEList invaluable. The reason for my request is not ground breaking or critical to the value I receive from this website. It is not all that important. It is just a way I, and possibly others, could get a little more out of JDEList, if an unread search was possible.

I use JDEList as one method of keeping up to date with all things JDE. I have found that emails are not entirely reliable and, sometimes, I miss posts. Also If I get interrupted when going through new posts - which happens quite often - it would be easier to catch up if such a search was available.

Unread posts are shown in each forum list with unique alternating row colors to distinguish them from read posts. With the style sheet you use, the unread posts will alternate between shades of blue. Read posts will alternate between white and gray. This is all within the forum itself and not on the Main Index page.

The forum software does reset the unread post counts on the Main Index after simply listing the forum content for a user. It actually sets a last visited date and time and uses that to determine the values on the Main Index page. However, if you select a forum, the new posts and replies will still be shown with the alternate color set and with the new replies count in parenthesis.

I believe the software was designed this way to improve performance of the Main Index page by reducing the number of queries needed. It does seem to contradict itself though.

Bud,

Well, colour me embarrassed
blush.gif
. I had never noticed that unread posts were colour coded that way - I noticed the colours, I'm not colour blind (but I may need glasses soon
smirk.gif
) - but not what they meant.

Thanks for information, it is appreciated very much.

Back