Scheduler

msouterblight1

VIP Member
Does anyone have a solution for handling dependencies in Scheduler? I have a need to ensure that certain UBEs finish before others are executed. The only solution we have currently is to shcedule the dependent UBEs first, but this is not the best solution. I would like to add conditions where UBEs will NOT execute until the first has completed.

Thank you,

I'd recommend scheduling these dependent jobs in a single-threaded batch queue. We currently have one single-threaded queue for all of our posting-related jobs, and another for manufacturing planning jobs (e.g. MRP, WO Processing, etc.). Then we have the default QB7333 which we use for jobs which don't have any dependencies.

Hope this helps.

Scheduler will not handle dependencies. There are a couple ways of handling this type of requirement.
The first option is to put the jobs in a single threaded queue and schedule them to start in the order they need to complete. This will ensure that the jobs run sequentially, but will NOT address situations where a dependent UBE must process successfully, all jobs will run regardless of the predecessors completion status.
The second option I can think of is to create a UBE that will then call each of the other reports that need to process. This is certainly a more cumbersome approach to accomplishing your goal.
If the UBE's are only required to run sequentially, and the follow on reports do not require a successful completion of prior jobs, then option 1 is the way to go.

Matthew,

You have a couple of options:

1) write a script that schedules a command line run of the UBE, then in the script, query the Job Master table for the status of the job for the status of the job that you just run. If job status = "D" then submit the other jobs.

2) Purchase one of the Scheduler packages that integrate with Oneworld (Tidal or Appworx)

Andy

Thanks for all your responses. I should have been more detailed, yes, we do scheduled the UBEs in a single threaded queue, but again, this is not the greatest solution, the best would be to have the jobs kick off once the dependent job has executed successfully.

(Tidal or Appworx)

Boy it would be nice if they supported ANY third party scheduler. Just try
to send them a log that includes scheduler info. We run 3200+ scheduled
UBE's per day. JDE's answer is they only support RUNUBE from a command
line. We have one problem that happens once every 10000 times. Just try
to do that by hand.

Tom Davidson
Xe U6 SP 17.1; AS/400; CO on SQL; W2K TSE w/Metaframe; Two instances
English/Western European & Japanese

OW 7333 U6 SP 17.1, AS/400, WIN2K, TSE 2000, Metaframe XP FR 1, CO SQL 7.0, Two Instances English/Western European & Japanese

We use Opalis Robot.
It is not integrated with OneWorld, but it can tell when a job has
completed (or failed with certain Windows return codes), and you can string
jobs together, branch, make decisions, et c.
And it will do lots of other things as well, including send emails (pages),
do sql queries, file/folder tasks, et c.

XE Oracle 8i Win2k Citrix

Steve Lehner

Global Information Systems
Westcon.Net
email: [email protected]
phone: 914 829 7457

msouterblight1
<msouterblight1@y To: [email protected]
ahoo.com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: Scheduler
owner-jdelist@jde
list.com

02/11/2003 02:47
PM
Please respond to
jdelist

Thanks for all your responses. I should have been more detailed, yes, we do
scheduled the UBEs in a single threaded queue, but again, this is not the
greatest solution, the best would be to have the jobs kick off once the
dependent job has executed successfully.
Matthew Scott
[email protected]
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=49631
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

Matthew,

I agree with all the comments regarding a third-party scheduler. The one I saw most recently on a client site was ActiveBatch. It worked quite nicely with dependencies.

If you want my pure OneWorld, low-tech solution:

I like to write "Driver" UBE's that call the reports you wish in sequence. You schedule the "Driver" UBE and it in turn uses UBE interconnects to launch your dependent jobs in turn.

If you want the real slick setup you can create a configuration table with a structure like: Job Stream Name, Report Id, Sequence, Asynch/Synch Flag. You can then create a Driver UBE that has one processing option -- the Job Stream Name. The UBE reads from the configuration table ordering on sequence and then steps through the resulting records one at a time spawning UBE's. If you have jobs that must run after job 1 for instance but have no other dependencies you can flag them as asynch in your configuration table. The driver UBE is coded to evaluate this flag and either spawn the job synchronously or asynchronously.

Regards,

(Tidal or Appworx)
Boy it would be nice if they supported ANY third party scheduler. Just try
to send them a log that includes scheduler info. We run 3200+ scheduled
UBE's per day. JDE's answer is they only support RUNUBE from a command
line. We have one problem that happens once every 10000 times. Just try
to do that by hand.
Tom Davidson
Xe U6 SP 17.1; AS/400; CO on SQL; W2K TSE w/Metaframe; Two instances
English/Western European & Japanese
OW 7333 U6 SP 17.1, AS/400, WIN2K, TSE 2000, Metaframe XP FR 1, CO SQL 7.0,
Two Instances English/Western European & Japanese
--------------------------
To view this thread, visit the JDEList forum at:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=49638
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

OW 7333 U6 SP 17.1, AS/400, WIN2K, TSE 2000, Metaframe XP FR 1, CO SQL 7.0, Two Instances English/Western European & Japanese

Back