RTFM

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi JDEList Community,

Can we ever reply a post briefly as "RTFM"?
Most of you do know, what does it mean, am I right?

Many times I was intented, to do this reply, but I have never done this.

Recently I read a reply with this content: "RTFM".

What does MORE violate with NETIQUETTE - the (very) poor initial issue or this kind of reply?

I am just curious of your opinion - I will be keep me as polite and courtesy as I can.

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltan,

grin.gif
I couldn't agree more.

But such a trend will perhaps lead to answers such as

"RTFM or GIYD"

Or simply,

"Oh really ? RIP"

Regards,

Shailesh

I hate the net's acronyms. Occasionally I am guilty of "LOL" or even "ROFLMAO" - but I rarely tell someone to "RTFM" or "RTFMUL".

I prefer that posts on JDEList and other informative forums should always try and be grammatically correct and, hopefully, with as few spelling mistakes as possible. I might express my view in this way to, in effect, tell someone to "RTFM" - but it comes over a little more intelligently and has greater effect over the poor loser that hadn't read the fornicating manual.

So, whenever someone asks "tell me how 2 install 1world" - you can certainly point them to the manual and express how they should use the aforementioned manual and everyone will understand your point is made.

Of course, we all should "RTFL" (read the list)

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.
I also hate net's acronyms and net's style.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer that posts on JDEList and other informative forums should always try and be grammatically correct and, hopefully, with as few spelling mistakes as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I prefer too.
Hopefully JDEList will be forbearing to me in the future too about my English
blush.gif

I hope, most of you know my style on JDElist - I rarely lose my patience, although there are many times good reason to do it.

Generally, I avoid to use JDE acronyms too - at least, when I first time mention a JDE term in my post, I do not use the acronym.

At last a story:
More years ago, when I was in Denver at JDE for a few days to co-oprate on our Hungarian language translation, I was told "PVC Group will solve", "PVC group will set", "PVC group will approve", etc.

PVC meant for me Poly Vinil Chloride, so I was curious and I asked, what does it mean PVC?

Nobody knew the answer.
I got the answer after 2 or 3 days:
PVC = Product Version Control

I do not want to hurt JDE team with this story at all, I really liked them and enjoyed to work with them.

Regards,

Zoltán

I have to confess replying with "RTFM" once on the list.
Maybe i should just have ignored the post but i was a bit aggravated that someone would ask a question like that on the list. Might as well have asked "What is OneWorld" or "how do i start Windows on my Sinclair ZX81"

I promise that i will refrain from similar in future, promise :)

Hi Larry,

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with saying "Read The Friendly Manual"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, this is not exactly, what I know:

"Read The Forgotten/Famous/Fine Manual"
tongue.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

All jokes aside. This forum is a forum for professionals. So I expect the bulk of the discussions to be conducted in a professional manner and therefore the contents of the posts to be written in correct and courteous language.
Granted there are some 'rather inappropriate' or 'ill informed' questions where the natural response would be to tell them to <list of acronyms>, but I prefer to see those mails listed as "views = 100 ; replies = 0".
After all "if you have nothing to say, say nothing at all"

Sef,

The good old phonetic alphabet - great for clarifying messages when voice comms are a little rough (play with the squelch knob did you say?) and sure beats trying to do the old dit dit dah stuff.

To my view though, some of the problematic listers are so Delta Sierra that they wouldn't get the subtle (;-0) meaning behind Romeo Tango Foxtrot Mike. A few of them may even have trouble with plain simple RTFM. They are likely to respond with "Where can I get a copy of the FM?"

Back