E9.2 Release 23 - when or has it come out yet

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi all

Release 23, is it available yet?
We are on TR 9.2.6 and I was led to believe we have the latest and greatest E1 software. Release 22 I think we have
So is there a very new recent one?
Or is 23 means 2023 just like 22 means 2022

Thanks

John

Release 22 came out on 10/12/2021. My hunch is that Release 23 will be available by the end of this month - but that's just my hunch (insert safe harbor clause here ;-)).

Well we go live mid November, so I'll suggest taking this before then, if its out

Hi all

Release 23, is it available yet?
We are on TR 9.2.6 and I was led to believe we have the latest and greatest E1 software. Release 22 I think we have
So is there a very new recent one?
Or is 23 means 2023 just like 22 means 2022

Thanks

John
It came out today, much like @DSauve 's prediction. It is also in time for Infocus which starts on Monday!

Well we go live mid November, so I'll suggest taking this before then, if its out
It's always best to "go live" on software you've had adequate time to test. This includes not only the application updates (ASU / ESU) but also the Tools Release, and its underlying technology.

We typically see an end user acceptance phase, and they sign off on the state of the system at that time. Changing the system after this point is a very bad idea. Then you have the potential for any mods you may have being replaced by the update, meaning a retrofit may be required. TLDR; Laying down Release 23 weeks before go-live is not something I'd advise.

One other thing, Update 7 isn't generally available as of yet. You can get Tools 9.2.7.0, the latest Planner and Tools Enhancement ASU, plus Tools ASI and certain 9.2.7 specific UDOs, but that's it. I'd wait for the UN7 ASU and UDO rollup, familiarize yourself with the new Update Manager, and go from there.

Hi again

Question on this. Now we are on 9.2.6 (release 22) TR 9.2.6.4 and we plan to take yearly updates to release 23 etc or TR as and when they come out if beneficial.

What is the impact on you organsiation to take these yearly updates from Oracle and what considerations do we need now we are fianlly on a more modern E1 release?
(My understanding upgrades are gradual now and not whole full blown set of objects, just objects that have changed/been enhanced)

Thanks

John

So the "release X" nomenclature is kind of odd... I can't tell you if my recent upgrade to 9.2.7.1 for a client who didn't want UN7 counts as Release 23 or not . so this is really not a one size fits all thing. Tools updates are not bound to App updates, they usually require a tools roll up ESU, a planner ESU, and the tools itself. That said, I would think the new approach is to plan for tools upgrades as often as possible - but you're going to need to keep up with MTR's as well as they deprecate OS's and weblogic versions. Don't forget too, tools upgrades also now contain security fixes, which may or may not be extremely important to your organization.

As for app updates, it really depends on your installation. If you heavily customize base objects, you really need to think about what that process looks like for you if you want to do it yearly. In the referenced client above, they were UN6 and only wanted all the replacements for the JET stuff that was running on ADF that's been deprecated, so I had to take those ESU's and UDO packs only.

Back