Recommended PC specs for 8.12/9.0 web client

PG_Barrett

Wondering if anyone knows of a minimum recommended PC hardware for use with E1 HTML clients - not looking for browser MTRs. We had grid rendering issues on many PCs when we upgraded to 8.10 and we want to avoid any surprise h/w upgrade costs on the next upgrade to 8.12/9.0?

1. What is the recommended PC config? i.e. P4, 1GB RAM, 40GB disk.

2. Is the client MTR for 8.12 different from 9.0?

The MTR's are different for 8.12 and 9.0 simply due to the differences in the local RDBMS that can be/has to be used with the two. In fact, there is almost a doubling of the MTR in 9.0 depending on if you elect to use SSE or Oracle as the RDBMs repository. The current MTR page is updated with all of the new 9.0 information. In lab testing recently, especially if you use Oracle, you probably want to exceed the MTR's in either case if you go 9.0.

I am looking for recommendations on hardware specs for a WEB Client (not to be confused with windows client, browser, or OS.) A revised version of the document attached would be perfect.

The Oracle MTR won't specify except to say
Hardware Requirements
• Contact your specific hardware representativefor optimal system configuration for the operating system on which the
browserruns.
• It is critical to check with your hardware vendor for sizing requirements when upgrading from XE or ERP 8 to EnterpriseOne
release 8.9 or later.
One of the primary factors that effects the performance ofthe Web client is the number of cells to be rendered in the grid within interactive applications. If unsatisfactory performance is experienced while rendering the grid, performanceof the Web client can usually be improved by:
1. Reducing the number of columns in the grid by using custom views
2. Increasing the RAM on the Web client
3. Increasing the CPU on the Web client

Of course they won't tell you: their marketing calls this "Thin Client", so to tell you to get a quad-CPU server-class workstation to run it would amount to admitting it's in fact an "Obese Client" ;-)

You'll probably need to overclock the CPU's to 10GHz to get it to tick at a reasonable pace ;-)

Seriously though, you'll just need to figure this out for yourself - try it on a few PC's and see which one is fast enough for what you need.

I'd personally prefer a good old Fat Client any day of the week. I'm really sad it's gone... ;-(

Back