Proper way to delete record on power edit w/o grid

BOster

BOster

Legendary Poster
I have a power edit form that I have effectively configured like a fix/inspect. Basically, update and fetch on form BV options set to true and no grid on the form. Adds/updates work just fine. Deletes, not so much.

What is the proper way to delete a retrieved record. The default delete button doesn't appear to do anything. I think the delete button wants to act on a selected grid record not the record loaded into the form itself. Additionally, I don't see any "Delete from DB" events for the form to do additional processing. I could hand code the delete on the delete button events, but I feel like I am missing something.

You might want to wade through the knowledge garden to locate the 'difference' between SubForm/PowerForms and those things we consider 'standard'.

If you select and press delete - the record is 'marked' for delete (as in a transaction) and is remove from the grid? If you press find - it immediately re-appears (right)? Did you try pushing Save (or OK) before pressing Find?

Let us know how the battle travels...

(db)

Daniel - Yes, true for grid records, but BOster's form has no grid.

BOster - The "manual" doesn't mention it explicitly, so i did a quick test. And yes, it looks like the standard Delete button on a Power Edit works on grid records only. So I don't think you're missing something; Looks like you'll have to code your own delete logic.

Yes, I miss the non-grid thing...

I've had to do my Adds, Edits and Deletes 'manually' - mostly for the control-freakiness-mentality, and the fact that it was easier to just do it manually, than try to find a proper manual.

If I come across the title of the KG Document that explain SubForms w/o Grids and how they behave - I'll follow-up with the title, here.

Enjoy.

(db)

Powerform Light Reading, (db)'s favorite docs:

E1: FDA: Frequently Asked Questions on Power Forms [ID 1311243.1]
E1: FDA: Document on Best Practice Guidelines for Developing Power Form Applications [ID 664577.1]
- This document has a link to a PDF with Extensive PF/SF Help (JD Edwards EnterpriseOne User Interface Design Patterns 8.12, Version 1)
E1: FDA: Overview of Using Form Design Aid [ID 626556.1]

Smoking Pine Needles: On SF Fix/Inspects - in the Power Form FAQ I read a comment where:
- A Grid needs to be added to the SF
- The Grid needs to be Hidden
- GC(s) need to be moved to FC(s) after the Find
- FC(s) need to be moved back to the GC(s) before the Save

An assumption can be made that a Delete would Delete from the Grid

(db)

[ QUOTE ]

BOster - The "manual" doesn't mention it explicitly, so i did a quick test. And yes, it looks like the standard Delete button on a Power Edit works on grid records only. So I don't think you're missing something; Looks like you'll have to code your own delete logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for confirming that. Didn't want to write a bunch of logic only to have someone say, "oh just check this box...".

Thing is, I hardly ever used the older Fix/Inspect forms. Having done data entry a long time ago most of the custom stuff I create uses grids since that is how I would want to edit most data. Fix/Inspect doesn't have a delete button (as probably everyone but me all ready knew). If you build an app where the only way to edit a record is through fix/inspect I guess you also have to code your own delete or put a delete button on the browse form (assuming that is your navigation path to the fix/inspect).

Power browse does't have a delete button though so you are pretty much left coding your own delete logic if you have created the power forms equivalent of a browse->fix/inspect and your records are never displayed in a power edit grid.

Back