Printing Address Labels 1-across

tpayne

tpayne

Reputable Poster
The standard options for printing address labels (program P01301) only print 2-across. Is there an easy way to print labels 1 across, for example on an Avery 2160 Mini-Address label (1 x 2 5/8)?

I know I can always write another RPG program to do this, another option is to write a program that outputs the addresses to a file, which is then used as input to a mail-merge in Word, but is there anything more obvious that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance...

I do not believe there is any other way... we have gone down both paths (custom RPG and WorldWriter file export to Excel and Mail Merge) to get labels done.

tpayne <[email protected]> wrote: The standard options for printing address labels (program P01301) only print 2-across. Is there an easy way to print labels 1 across, for example on an Avery 2160 Mini-Address label (1 x 2 5/8)?

I know I can always write another RPG program to do this, another option is to write a program that outputs the addresses to a file, which is then used as input to a mail-merge in Word, but is there anything more obvious that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance... Tony Payne - Senior Analyst/Programmer Dole Fresh Flowers, Miami, Florida

Thanks Sannan.
I'm sure I have written this program before at another client site - this is where it gets frustrating........ I hate re-inventing the wheel...
I think I will just bite the bullet and create an RPG that outputs a file instead of printing - that way I can let JDE format the address correctly and just take the output. I think that's maybe the best approach.

A quick and dirty approach might be to write an RPG program that reads
in the spooled 2-up labels and reformats them to 1-up. That way you
don't have to worry about formatting the addresses yourself, only
moving the formatted output around on the page.

That's another fairly simple approach, using the extracted spool file, but it's made more complicated because you may have to check the line spacing etc.

I think as they are only asking for one label type I'm going to keep it simple and clone one of the other programs, changing the label format. It's faster to do (hopefully) and easier on the users here.

Back