printimmediate huge PDF

puggers

We are having a big problem with printimmediate and large PDF files. The PDF is created successfully each time. If the file is under 50M it goes to the printer fine. Anything over that just never shows up in the printer. No errors just no file sent.
It is actually going to Formscape. But Formscape is not the problem, because you can manually send the PDF's through Formscape.

I have no idea what is going on. There are no errors in the JDEdebuglog.
Does anyone have a clue??

Help!

What server platform? jde sends the PDF through the print queuing mechanism of your system. Do you have enough disk in the drive that spools the PDF?

on Windows this is under : /winnt/system32/spool/ somwhere.

On UNIX, probably this is under /var/spool/lp somewhere.

On the 400, it goes to a remoteoutq (if you're going to formscape) and I'm not sure what the limitations are on these.

Anyway, perhaps there is only about ~50MB left in one of these spots?

Good luck.

You pointed me in the right direction...
/var/spool/qdaemon

Does anyone know where this setting is kept?
We want to direct it to a different directory.

jdedwardsoneworld/b7333/system/bin32 is where the log for the printing is stored. Each printer has a log file.

We have found a solution...

Make the var/ directory larger...

I found this website...

http://www.gruftie.net/ibm/tl/techlib/qna/faxes/html/zap/zap74.htm

(FATAL ERROR): 0781-024
'Cannot write anymore to /var/spool/qdaemon/spool_name, file has become too large',
'errno 28 not enough space in filesystem'.
An effort to print a report produced this error on the screen and locked up the terminal.

Increase /var to solve the problem.

Another option - if formscape is using a custom shell script to print (ie, FORMSCAPE_PRINTER) or has a special part in one of the other scripts, you could change the command to print in the script to go from

lp -c blah blah

to remove the -c. The -c copies the file to be printed to the queue. Without the -c, the file is only symbolically linked to the print queue (ie, TINY).

The risk: a user clicks print, the job is queued up, and then the user deletes the job from work w/ server jobs. Then the queued up job prints, and the symbolic link points to nothing sice the PDF is deleted, and you are out of luck and have to re-run the huge report.

If this is an acceptable risk, you can remove -c and not increase /var

Back