Planning Workbench

alanmacc

Hi All

We are using Enterprise One currently but also using an external system excel based for our planning of materials, PDP system, I know that JDE has an MRP module as well as a planners workbench, my question is to anybody who is currently using these modules......... do they work ok with constrained materials? i.e. if 95% of paterials are readily available in 6 weeks but the remaining 5% are not available for 25 weeks, the system will plan to have orders made and materials available in the store closer to the 25 seeks to ensure that you are not over stocked?

I hope this makes sense

Cheers
Alan

Windows XP/ Office 2003/ I.E 8/

Hi Alan,

Any MRP system is constrained by material availability. The point of the system is to help you buy/build the inventory so that it will be there when you need it - to prevent situations where 5% of your material has a 25 week leadtime and you don't have any in the pipeline and you need it in 4 weeks.

That doesn't mean that JDE's MRP is right for your company. Its a very traditional MRP - basically its designed to plan in batch, generate advice messages to buyers and planners who in turn act on (or don't act on) those messages. Also any MRP to be successful requires very good discipline in multiple areas of the company - otherwise garbage in - garbage out.

Cheers,

Back