pdf file size causing printer delays in 8.10

BArmstrong

Our shop is upgrading from OneWorld XE to EnterpriseOne 8.10.

We have noticed that in 8.10, the pdf file size created is much larger than in XE for identical reports. Pdfs with a bytes-per-page ratio of 15,000 or more experience a per-page delay when sent to the printer from Acrobat. It's as if the printer has to pause before each page to absorb the flood of incoming data.

There is no discernable difference in speed at the workstation – the delay happens by pages at the printer after output is complete at the workstation. Output from XE for the same report, same data, same version of Acrobat to the same printer has no delay, and the file size and bytes-per-page is only about 40% of the size of the 8.10 version.

Curiously, when output is sent directly to the printer from 8.10, this per-page pause does NOT occur, but the pdf created is identical in every way to a version run locally and delivered on-screen. Additionally, if that same "print-direct" pdf file is opened and printed with Acrobat, its printout will experience the same delays. The Acrobat version installed on the workstation probably is not a factor, as the delays happen with Acrobat 4, 6, and/or 7, The pdf apparently is created within PSFT, independent of Acrobat version on the workstation.

If the pdf is printed from Acrobat with "Print as Image" checked, the delay does NOT happen, but the output quality is not acceptable. Too, the use of Bold seems to add to the size of the pdf as well.

This can double (or more!) the time it takes to print reports. Has anyone else discovered this situation? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,

The unicode conversion has to be one of the factors contributing your larger PDF size.

In 8.10, we discovered that some of the printers are too old to handle the new release, causing delay when printing. The delay does not happen to our new printers.

Purely as a guess (I don't work with 8.10) but I wonder if the metadata tag in the jde.ini is set on when you don't need it.

This is a known issue and it is indeed related to the PDF libraries used to generate the PDF and the fact 8.10 uses unicode.

A possible solution is to install PCL 6 printer drivers.

If this does not work, contact Oracle's support.

I hope this helps.

J.

Back