P34004

hsiao_te_wang

Well Known Member
Hi Lists,
Here is one thing confused me: can we (or should we) set up the different version for P34004 (inclusion rules for MRP, CRP...) ?
If yes, why those batch program (R3482, R3382...) have processing option to address the inclusion rule but not specify the version for it ? Also, what can I do if each "MPS" inclusion rule in different version covers different status of WO or so ?
Thanks for any inputs.
Regards,
John Hsiao, ERP8 Update1, SP21

John,

What concerns you? Inclusion rules are great - but a source of great confusion because they take a steady hand to set up and it is the first thing that most Users forget about six months after implementation. I have heard it said that they are one of the great strengths of the JDE planning systems. I don't know how true that is but you can certainly do wonderful things with them.

Being able to exclude certain Order Documents, Statuses and Line types allows us to exclude non-stock orders, quotes or work orders that are about to be scrapped... Your imagination is the the only limit. Remember that these inclusion rules also appear in the Supply/Demand Inquiry P4021 so you can customise that Inquiry to show different data from that which the MRP/DRP/MPS plans for. They also appear in Capacity Planning which allows to you include Work Orders as a drain on capacity even though you wouldn't normally plan for them, ie, spares.

So, to your question.. Should you set up different versions?: NO! You don't need to. JDE Demo data supplies a few suggestions (which probably confuses everyone because everyone thinks they have to use them ALL) but most Users only need one. Indeed, the fewer the better, there is less to go wrong the fewer you have. I recommend starting with ONE and deleting the rest.... Until such time as you see a need more.

As for you second question... Yes, R3482/R3483 allow you to state which Rule but what do you mean by the "version for it"? What version do you mean? There is no version of an inclusion rule. It is either "MPS", "MRP", or any other three letter acronym you can think of. There are no versions.

If you only have one inclusion rule then all your R3482 and R3483 versions will all have the same rule. This seems very obvious but I struggle to comprehend what was meant by your last question. You seem to be using Inclusion Rules to address problems you don't have. JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE!! You only need one "MPS" inclusion rule across all your R3482/R3483 programs. I guess you must mean: what would happen if I used lots of different rules? This question is academic. The answer is: you wouldn't. If you did you would quickly get into a mess. As I said, you use one if you can get away with it. Multiple rules may have a place if you ran different and separate MRP's across entirely different Plants in your Business. But for anyone into combined DRP and multi-plant MRP is suggest that you use one rule... Otherwise, for example, one DRP would be planning for Demand and suggesting Orders whilst the next MRP run will not see the demand and tell you to cancel the Orders! This wouldn't make sense.

Concur. Keep it simple. You don't want your Material Planning and Capacity Planning generations stepping on each other.
Having said that, different users have different data needs when doing Supply/Demand Inquiry. For example, (Sales) Order fulfillment folks may not want to see the same things as production planners when looking at sources and timing of demands and resupply. For those instances, different S/D inquiry versions on different custom menus may want to use different S/D inclusion rules to tailor the data to be displayed.

Remember, however, someone has to keep track of what rules are used by which program versions, and must keep all the rules current when changes occur in the documents or statuses to be displayed.

Let me repeat - KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Back