OneWorld over WAN link

rhunt01

Well Known Member
Hello List,

I am currently researching a serious performance issue with OneWorld XE and it's communication over WAN links...but first, some background. We are a pretty standard Microsoft shop with regard to our network config. We have not made our migration to Win2k yet, so were are still working with one PDC and 10 BDC's located in various offices. Each BDC is the local print server, Email server, SMS server, etc., and more importantly, home drive for that particular division. Now, for OneWorld, it currently is served to both my office (over LAN), and the divisions (WAN) via 3 Citrix servers. Since the completion of the original implementation, we have been tweaking our citrix farm and all involved equipment in an attempt to improve performance. NT4.0 Citrix boxes are now Win2k server W/ Citrix Metaframe 1.8 SP3. All suggested JDE and Citrix mods have been completed. All servers are an assortment of dual and quad processor Pentium III class machines with 4GB's of RAM...so equipment speed has not been a problem. Recently, we just doubled every WAN link to again up the ante. However, the performance being sought has not been recognized.
Now, we also found a new peice of the puzzle that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. Earlier I mentioned that each user's home drive is located in the divisional office... Accordingly, their Output directory is equal to \\divisional server\home directory\sysroot name[windows]\printqueue\printqueue. It is the communication with this "windows" directory that I am curious about. While on the LAN, Edwards loads in Citrix lightning fast...on the WAN...not so fast. This shouldn't be the case as Citrix is accepting mouse clicks and keyboard strokes in exchange for screen shots, right!? Well, observing memory on our Citrix servers, you can see that about 10,000K of memory is achieved for Oexplore.exe when the program is loaded. For WAN link users, the memory requirement is of course the same as everyone is using the same citrix boxes. The one difference is the amount of time is takes the WAN link users' sessions to load to 10,000K of use. I believe this indicates that there may be info in this sysroot directory that is required to load that is having to be pulled over the WAN. Does anyone have any idea exactly what that information is and if that can be modified. I have been considering requesting yet another server and using it as a "OneWorld user" home directory (you can specify two different home drives...one standard and one for terminal server use while in Usermanager for Domains on Term Server). That way the sysroot information and output directory would be accessed at 100mb/1000mb speeds rather than 256K average. However, if someone has a less expensive and less agressive configuration change I can try, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan D. Hunt
Associate Systems Analyst
Highwoods Properties, Inc.

From what I read, the user profiles are not lcoal to
the Terminal Server. On TSE login that means that the
entire profile directory has to be pulled over the WAN.

You will find that the JDE.INI file is stored in the Home Directory, this is
used at start up.

We have followed the route of a separate Home Directory for Citrix Logons,
we don't have a particularly clever or expensive server to do this, but it
is tight linked to the Citrix Servers, this does improve this area of
performance. However in reverse it does slow down printing, if you view PDF
files, then selectively print from Adobe, as this is then done across the
network.

OW733.3 Xe SP 14.2
Enterprise Server - Intel NT + Oracle 8.0.6
Client - Citrix TSE + 4 NT PC's for development

Back