Object modfied under another project - Build nightmare!

JDE0101

Hello all,

We have the scenario recently were we have for example promoted projects to PD and the status has transferred successfully but on post inspection the object did not transfer (via the OMW logs).

I have figured out that one cause of this is because we applied a baseline ESU on a certain date to PD with the retrofitted mod's in PY for testing. then when we promote the retro fit PY project to PD due to the OL dates it does not overwrite Central objects with what it considers an "older" object with the newer one. (obvously we appled large ESU to DV/PY then did retro fits then promoted to PY then applied large ESU to PD.

Now i realise best practice dictates that you should'nt rework std objects but its too late for that so i cant hide behind that though i have pointed that out...

So...Oracle suggested i perform a checkout @ PY before transferring but that gives me additional headaches for projects. To avoid this going forward i think my options are:

1. Reset the OL date in F9861 to ensure it's always an older date (eg 2005) but that brings other issues from an audit and tracking point of view.

2. in this scneario pre PD ESU install maybe i should take the proj back down, c/out c/in and then promote each prpject right through to PD - that caused me an issue as althought the project was in PY waiting for ESU they dropped the token and someone did development checking it into DV and i managed to promote the dev object up....

I know this is typically not a CNC issue, more so the way development and baseline ESU are applied.

My 2 question to the CNC experts are

1. how can we stagger applying Large ESU's (update 2) while allowing retrofitting and testing like this?

2. Why does OMW allow the status move on a project with no visible feedback that the object did not transfer? At least if i knew this didn't happen i could address. I'm thinking i may need to run an SQL to check for any "object did not transfer" errors each build...

Thoughts? Advice?

Enterprise One 811 TR 896 / Update 2/ w2k Fat clients / oracle 10r2 DB / Aix enteprise server / Wsphere web servers.

thanks!

Yep....been there and got the t-shirt.

I'm in the middle of applying baseline and post baseline ESU's to an environment for a client and I take the easy way - just replicate the environments before the ESU (code and all). For the PD go-live I just code the Central Objects and apply the ESU to PD to get the history and any Table conversions that might not have run.

Of course this only works if you can stop or really slow down development.

In your case if you have most of the retrofits in one OMW project I use this project and do a select on the F98222 to grab the object list and then reset the OL for this path code.

You might want to try the BATCH OMW promotion UBE. Never used it but perhaps it works differently (here's hoping).

Colin

Just read my post........I copy the entire Central Objects from PY to PD.

Only do this for very large baseline ESU's and updates.

nice to know someoene else feels the pain also ;-)

you mention Batch OMW Promote - what is this?

re the PD->PY object refresh then apply ESU and retro's dont know if the risk of that mitigates the problems i face but i'd be keen on your advice on this..

A good point you made was to pre-empt this by resetting OL date of the objects you know you want to retrofit..never thought of that before hand

thanks..

Back