Manufacturing Accounting, Advanced Costs Accounting and Floor Stock

clmates

Reputable Poster
Hi to All.

We are about to implement both, manufacturing accounting and advanced cost accounting, still in design phase.

I have one doubt regarding of the proper handling of Floor Stock (Issue Type Code = F)

Currently , we don't have Accounting for Inventory and Manufacturing, and only have it enabled for sales and purchasing.

Some of our work orders have component items with issue type code = I (that we issue with material issues P31113), and some others have issue type code F.

In issue type code F we have items that we haven't a exact measure to associate at each work order, for example, we manufacture painted pieces, so we setup a frame with a lot of different pieces to paint the same colour, each piece has his own work order and we have a estimate kg paint powder usage in his part list, but this is not accurate and it varies a lot in function of the total paint load (is not the same to pass a single frame than to pass ten frames). Currently we have the estimated quantity in part list as stocking type F, then our warehouse people, use a scale to weight the powder can before giving it to the painting plant, and after when the painting plant returns it, so we know the total weight consumed for a day (several work orders), so we use a Inventory Issue (II document) to inform that material usage.

The point is that although this works for inventory management, with manufacturing accounting we want to be able to associate the material usage, if not to the work order, to the manufacturing section, in order to be able to detect bad allocations for materials that are shared between different sections, and also to have a easy way to detect bad performing sections. We plan to use business unit or a cost object for the work centre.

My question is, how you handle this Stoking type F in order to associate his usage with the manufacturing work centre or section in advanced cost accounting? I have seen that the Inventory Issue transaction has no options for the user to manually input a cost object.

Many Thanks for reading till here
laugh.gif

Firstly, you can specify the cost object that you wish to issue material to. You just need to set the Issue Type to 2 on the processing options of P4112.

The other way you can handle it is to backflush the material on the work order completion. So rather than issue the material out of the store you can transfer it to a factory floor location and issue from there against the work order using backflush. At the end of the day you can then do an inventory adjustment against the manufacturing center for the difference. This may help with identifying variances better because the value of the adjustment will be the deviation from the planned consumption.

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Or question is more related to the accounting setup, than to the control method.

In fact, if we use superbackfulsh and then and adjustment for the variations, we face the same problem. The adjustment could not carry cost centre information so we still didn't solve.

As I said, if the processing options are set correctly the inventory issue program allows you to specify the account number and subledger for the costs to hit.

Also, depending on how your accounts are structured and you identify your different manufacturing centers, you may not even need to have the user specify the account to book the costs to.

Back