Magical Batch Version disappearing act

• Thread starter Crazy_About_JDE
  • Start date
Crazy_About_JDE

Crazy_About_JDE

Well Known Member
Hello, list-- It was reported to me yesterday that a batch version, used every day, has mysteriously disappeared.

Is there a way to find out if someone deleted the version?

Here are the details that I've collected:

<ul type="square">[*]It is a custom UBE, R5541259, for producing inventory reports. All the other versions appear to be intact and working.

[*]We usually create versions by copying an existing version that works. Sometimes we create them from scratch. This is a version we've been using since at least June of this year; I do not know how it was created.

[*]According to OMW logging, this UBE was last checked-in on 10/4/06 and was deployed in an update package which contained ALL versions (my standard practice).

[*]I see this version by name in update packages from 6/19, 6/30, and 10/4.

[*]The last update package (not containing this UBE) deployed was 10/18, nearly two weeks ago, so I do not think package deployment is to blame.

[*]I checked the PD7334 version header table; it is not there.

[*]The DV7334 version header does still contain a record.

[*]I tried inserting the DV record into PD, then updated the environment field to PD7334, but when I double-click to run the version, I get this error: Version is not installed on client.

[*]And strangest of all: I looked at our submitted jobs and found that this version was run, and completed successfully, on 10/27 and 10/17. (Those, at least, are the records that have not been cleared by individuals who use it.) I am told that this version is run every day of the week by several people. Yet, I restored to a temporary library the version header table from 10/20, 10/26, 10/27, 10/30; none of the PD7334DNT/F983051 files that I restored contained the version that is "missing."

[/list]
Additionally, I searched the archive and found two cases that were close to what I'm experiencing, but they did not help:

From 2003: Batch Version Disappearing
From 2002: Missing Versions

Any ideas? ...or...Can anyone else relate their strange version stories for me to enjoy?

Do you journal the versions file? Or can you restore a back-up to see if the version exists? I am assuming you are referring to the F983051 file when you say you looked. There a couple of cases where batch versions become corrupt due to access by an older version of I-series.

This happened to us once, here's the description and fix that we were able to use...

"There's a known issue with OneWorld XE (SAR 7058301) where versions will sometimes disappear from the version list after you run them. To bring them back, a field needs to be changed in F983051.

Look at field VRVLISTMODE, it should be '1' for interactive versions, '2' for batch versions. The bug causes interactive versions to be '10', batch versions to be '20'. If the VRVLISTMODE field is corrupted, change the field back to the correct value."

Thank you for replying to my post, Todd. I wish the VRVLISTMODE was the problem; I've had my eye on it for several months. In this case, though, the version record is completely gone, not just corrupted.

Thank you for replying to my post, dmbujack. To answer your questions

(a) We do journal the versions file to OWJRNL/OW_JRNL.

(b) I attempted to restore the version from backup, but none of the backup files contained the version, either. I don't know how that is possible. Very frustrating.
smile.gif

Does the version exist in any other environment? If so, promote away.
smile.gif

Thanks for trying, MagarG. Unfortunately, we have extensively explored the VRVLISTMODE problem and this is not it.

In the case of the VRVLISTMODE corruption, the records are not deleted.

Thank you for writing, Dan. We were able to recreate the version easily.

But...that doesn't answer my original question, which was "How can it happen?" or "Is there a way to see if a user deleted it?"

Does JDE put deleted objects in the user's default OMW project? I know it does with user overrides (but I have no idea why -- I just know it causes us some headaches once in a while).

I'd take a look at my users' default projects, and see if one of them has a reference to the deleted version.

Mystery solved? Magical Batch Version disappearing act

VERY good suggestion, Bill! You're right, that a deleted version is added to a user's default project. My own default project had a dozen or more test versions that I've created and deleted in the past.

The entries look like this in OMW:

R55UBENAME1|XXX00001 - <Object does not exist>
R55UBENAME1|XXX00002 - <Object does not exist>

From there, I discovered that I can view OMW logging at version level; it uses the UBENAME|VERSIONNAME format. Duh!

I searched the F98222 file, found a user who had it in his project, and used OMW Logging & Log Detail to prove that HE DELETED THIS VERSION ON 10/28! Woohoo!

Note to self: It is possible for a savvy user to remove a deleted version from his project, but OMW logs are still maintained for it until purged.

I win a dunce cap for going through all this to learn the obvious. But that's what I love about the JDELIST and the troubleshooting process.

Bill, you win a trophy icon. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Re: Mystery solved? Magical Batch Version disappearing act

Tim,

a hats off to you because you ALWAYS update us with the resolution of your issues - everybody learns as a result.

Keep it up!

Re: Mystery solved? Magical Batch Version disappearing act

Tim,

I'm very happy to have helped point you down the right path. And thanks to you for following up and sharing the gory details with the rest of the list!

Back