jdedebug.log

amolchandane

Hi guys,

I'm working on JDE E1 8.12. On my FAT client machine, JDE creates different jdedebug.log (with date/time suffix) file every time I log into JDE. After some days, I need to delete the bunch of files manually as it acquires lot of space and it becomes cumbersome. I want to have the whole jdedebug log information in a single jdedebug.log file and it should clear the jdedebug.log file once I log out from JDE.
Is any setting to be done in jde.ini file?

Hi,
Do you always want to enable the jdedebug.log ?

Thanks,
E812 on 10G

are you saying that you have jdedebug logging turned on all the time?

you can have the debug information written to the JDE.LOG file which is automatically recreated every time you log in by modifying the JDE.INI. You simply modify the debug section to point to the jde.log file. I would however suggest that you not leave debug turned on all the time as it is a performance hit. If you need info in the debug log, you will be dealing with a potentially huge file. Check out Everest software for their debug tool that allows you to toggle debug on and off on the fly.

amolchandane
You can turn off the debug logs off thru setting to NONE in the jde.ini file. Or you can ask your CNC to do it for you.

about the "split" jdedebug log files: yeah, that started sometime around 8.12 i believe. like amolchandane, i too would like to know if it's possible to get all the jdedebug log information in a single jdedebug.log. anyone?

NO - you do NOT want one big JDE.LOG file.

YOU DO want it broken down to MANAGEABLE SIZES.

(db)

it's definitely easier to be able to search & find everything in a single file. but yes, of course you gotta take care not to get it too large for your editor to open it, or to run out of ram.

getting back to my question though: is it possible to get all the jdedebug log information in a single jdedebug.log in 8.12 and up? or at least be able to set the file-size?

When you turn on Debug on the Server, it breaks things down into 'useable' sizing. (iSeries even crams all the carriage returns into a jumbled mess).... I have seen a setting for log sizing, but I don't know if it was functional and/or valid (sometime a shop will invent a setting - though it never works).... It was in Server Manager on an Oracle/Unix installation. There are some handy DOS scripts that allow you to append files together (for those that really like big files)....

If you run Debug on the Local Machine - I haven't experienced it breaking down the Debug.Log into something 'useable' - I still see them GIGS in size (and nothing known to man opens them with any respect).... Did I miss a tools release, somewhere?

One thing you WILL want to acquire - is the Everest Debug Log Commander: http://www.everestsoftint.com/index.asp?a=browse&p=OWDLC

The tool allows you to turn on/off the JDEDEbug.Log at a moment's notice. It can save HOURS of validation. It only works on the Developer Workstation - but, that's where you are doing the debuggin, anyway. Get to the area of code that you believe is causing issues - and flag it on! Tada, you look at the function in the log and discover that your Function Parameter Arrows are all pointed toward hades... now your can fix things.

(db)

[ QUOTE ]
If you run Debug on the Local Machine - I haven't experienced it breaking down the Debug.Log into something 'useable' - I still see them GIGS in size (and nothing known to man opens them with any respect).... Did I miss a tools release, somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno if you missed a tools release somewhere
smile.gif
, but I'm definitely talking about local machine. As of sometime around 8.12, it's not a single file anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing you WILL want to acquire - is the Everest Debug Log Commander

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i use it regularly. now i'm gonna make a bold statement here which might spark some discussion, and i don't want to insult anyone, but i'm going to say it anyway: my experience with the tool is, that sometimes it will not record everything, and there will be a difference with the debug log created "the normal way" (through jde.ini). i've witnessed others experience the same thing (this is 8.10 i'm talking about). so i don't trust the tool 100%. but i still use it for simple stuff, like catching a select statement and such. anyway, my advice: if u think your log made with the tool doesnt make 100% sense, then try without the tool.

Remo -

Note the difference in terminology - Tools Release vs Software Version (only clarifying for those that don't understand - I'm sure the 'great' Remo is already aware)....

Software Version: XE, 8.0, 8.9(Benign), 8.10, 8.11, 8.12, 9.0
Tools Release: SP##something, 8.96.., 8.97... 8.98.3.4...

Running standalone 8.12 / 8.97 - I just generated an 8gb JDEDebug.Log. I can't open it.... How big are the JDEDebug.Log(s) you are getting. I want that ability (actually, I asked for it at Collaborate - and was told "NO")....

So, is it a latter tools release that is divising the JDEDebug.Log?

(db)

[ QUOTE ]

now i'm gonna make a bold statement here which might spark some discussion, and i don't want to insult anyone, but i'm going to say it anyway: my experience with the tool is, that sometimes it will not record everything, and there will be a difference with the debug log created "the normal way" (through jde.ini).

[/ QUOTE ]

The "normal way" and the way Everest Debug Log Commander does it is basically the same. In fact, all of the 3rd party logging tools that allow you to toggle logging basically work the same way as "manually" doing it in the jde.ini. A couple of things to keep in mind is that if logging is off when you launch activeConsole.exe and then you toggle it on your are not going to get SQL statements logged (I believe Log commander actually documents this). Logging must be on when you launch the jde process in order to capture SQL statuements. What I do is launch activeConsole.exe and before I enter my E1 credentials, use Log Commander to toggle logging on, exit activeConsole.exe and re-launch, enter credentails, etc. Another thing to keep in mind, at least with the release I am on, is that the log buffer is not allways flushed to the file immediatly (BTW, in Xe it was flushed immediatly). In other words, if I set a break point on a JDB_FetchKeyed statement for example, I may not see it in the log until a few other logged events happen and the buffer is flushed to the file.

hi daniel, just checked with an 8.12 client (they're currently on 8.98.0.3). check attachment: jdedebug.log is split in multiple parts, each several MBs in size.

also checked the jas-logs while i was at it. they're also being split up as you can see (again, check attachment), but that's no surprise, since it's specified in the jdelog.properties file:

#Logging runtime and JAS at DEBUG level will be helpful for tools developers.
#Tool developers should use this log ato debug tool level issues
[LOG2]
FILE=log/jasdebug.log
LEVEL=DEBUG
FORMAT=TOOLS_THREAD
MAXFILESIZE=10MB
MAXBACKUPINDEX=20
COMPONENT=ALL
APPEND=TRUE

ps: the 8.12 remark in my previous post wasnt related to your 'tools release' remark.

Attachments

• 163746-logging.doc
    150 KB · Views: 154
And Oracle saied....................

"This is an enhancement from Tools Release 8.98 onwards. The Output=FILE has a new meaning. For the Win32 Client, when you specify Output=FILE, it means you want multiple jde.log and jdedebug.log files for different processes in your Win32 client. The jde.log and jdedebug.log file names will include a suffix showing the process ID and the date with one set for each process, such as the activConsole process, the metadata JVM process, local UBE processes, BusBuild processes, and so on. You can view and relate the process ids with the processes from the Windows Task Manager for the logs. If unable to view process id in the Windows Task Manager, go to its View -> Select Columns and select the check box for the PID.

These changes provides better management of the debug log files for the Win32 client as the logs are split according to processes."

In JDE 9.0

If you want to log in a single file (jdedebug.log)then set jde.ini, OUTPUT = BOTH

If you want based on session then set OUTPUT = FILE

Hope this helps!

thanx. when posting my previous reply, i realized that for developers, the jas-logs are more interesting anyway when debugging web-apps, but still good to know.

Back