JDE ... PS .... ORCL ....

oh by the way

I worked out the new company name

Peoplesoft - Oracle
Peoplesoftacle
Poplesoftacle
Popsoftacle
Popsacle

Guess their software sucks ? Hmm maybe not a good name then......

Hey Jon...

I would have been really happy if u could have used either J or D or E at any point....

Cheers,
ArunSrinivasan.P.

why would the letters J, d and E be involved in the Oracle/Peoplesoft deal.

Remember, as soon as Larry announced the hostile takeover, the Peoplesoft/JDE deal was cancelled. Ellison has explicitely stated he doesn't want anything to do with JDE right now - though it might be an "option later" (yeah, like at $5 per share !)

PSFT has still yet to deny officially the takeover - right now they're mulling it over.

Don't think the dust has settled yet - this still has a LONG way to go, its only the beginning, and I'm positive others are going to be wading in for their cut...

Hold onto your seats, and lets watch and see what happens to popsacle. It'd be awesome for JDE to see peoplesoft eradicated from the marketplace - quote "we are only interested in operations - we will stop developing the peoplesoft software but we will continue to {rake in the maintenance revenue} support it"

Since JDE doesn't compete directly in Oracle and SAP deals at the mid-tier marketplace (it is rare that they fight them in most deals) - but since they directly compete with Peoplesoft in the mid-tier, I would expect the JDE Sales team to be ramping up to grab the remaining marketshare. I'd expect to see current Peoplesoft deals move away from Oracle (to JDE ?). Great news - but I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the executives in the headlamps at Quest Global !!!!!

What is the So Called Poison Pill? as said in the Press!
One large hurdle Oracle would have to clear is a "poison pill" put in place by PeopleSoft to make any hostile takeover more difficult and more expensive.

So-called "poison pill" provisions are bylaws designed to prevent takeovers. PeopleSoft has two such provisions, according to Richard Peterson, an analyst at WR Hambrecht + Co. in San Francisco.

One prevents the replacement of the company's entire board of directors at the same time. The other would award a bounty of new preferred shares to existing shareholders if a third party buys a certain amount of stock.

The buyer would then have to buy a majority of the new shares, an expensive proposition.

"The net effect is that it makes it near impossible to purchase the company without the board's approval," Peterson said.

Oracle not a software company??? Are You Kidding? YES THEY ARE!... or maybe you've been reading too many JDE novels?

AntiTrust? Probably not... There's plenty of competition out there...

Remember, Ellison just wants to be like Bill $ Micro$oft... so, purchasing any product and branding it as his own will make sense to him...

db

Oracle's takeover is forcing PSFT and JDEC to put the cards on the table about how their merge will look (and what the result will be for us, the end users/suppliers/consultants). That can't be a bad thing..

Though an Oracle offer $2 less than the PSFT share price can't be taken too seriously... can it?

/Porup

Oracle's offer was when PSFT's price was less than $16 - the active information has subsequently pushed PSFT price upwards.

What is interesting, however, is that the JDEC price has not followed suit - which means the marketplace currently is not considering the JDEC price to have a relation on the PSFT price. This is strange, since at tonights PSFT price of $17.89 - JDEC at 0.86 per PSFT share should be valued at just under $15.38 - but strangely enough is consistently at $13.3 - this is a 14% difference - which is certainly larger than the usual 5%. Currently the Oracle bid is holding off the JDE bid still - even though the current offer on the table is ludicrous.

However, remember when people start selling - stock falls. Sell the whole company, it'd drop to single digits on the open market. Oracle is a "guaranteed" purchase at an average of $16 per share. A number of executives might see this as attractive - but usually if the price is 15% lower (ie at $13.6 or so)

As I mentioned before. Trust no-one. Currently nobody knows the outcome of this race, and it is currently more to do with the economic trend rather than the performance or quality of software of each party.

I don't believe we'll see the entire picture for at least 6 months - and uncertainty is bad on Wall Street.

As expected:

"Germany's SAP AG (SAP) launched a global sales campaign Tuesday to woo PeopleSoft Inc. (PSFT) and J.D. Edwards & Co. (JDEC) customers amid uncertainty related to Oracle Corp.'s (ORCL) hostile bid for PeopleSoft. The world's largest business application software maker plans to follow with a print advertising campaign later in the week.

Leo Apotheker, president of global field operations at SAP, told The Wall Street Journal Europe that SAP sales people began contacting J.D. Edwards and PeopleSoft customers about the new offer Tuesday morning. He declined to provide
specifics of the offer, but said it included financial incentives and SAP's commitment that any changeover to its software would be smooth.

"They will get a very attractive offer on the table which should probably incentivize all or some of them to seriously consider the SAP alternative," Mr. Apotheker said. "It is our duty as market leader in the applications space to create some security.""

Did anyone else see this? Thanks a lot Oracle.

One way or another, JDE's fate is determined. It has lost guts to stay independent 10 months ago when they start to negotiate the selling. The only question left is who is going to adopt JDE.

It's hard to say whether Ed would have gone along with a Peoplesoft merger. Does make me wonder about one thing though. When Peoplesoft takes over, are they going to replace the big bronze statue of Ed fishing out front of the corporate offices? Will Lake Ed be renamed the People's Pond?

Back