JAS Inactive time out standards

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
We recently went live on 8.12 from Xe. Well our users are not super trilled with I guess 3 things about new 8.12 system.

1. Is performance, they are comparing the HTML performance over SSL to that of Xe on Citrix and are complaining that a large journal entry takes about 10 seconds to open. We have performance tuned the system and have installed the SQL 2005 JDBC driver, we have 4 WAS ND Clones and from monitoring the system it is hardly utilizing the server resources.

2. Is the timeout, currently we have time out set to 1 hour and OMG it's the end of the world, because again on Citrix they did not want ti implement any sort of timeout so users are used to being logged on for 48 plus hours, not the system time out after an hour.

3. The cut and past feature is not available on the web, that one I don't think there is anything that can be done but again coming from Xe that was non-web to web is something that I don't think can be compared.

I know a lot of places have time out set to 30 minutes to an hour, however I would like some feedback as to what JAS time setting are you guys using and horw are your users responding, also as for further tuning, not sure what more can be done, honestly from a performance perspective I don't see how it can be improve, maybe upgrading to SQL 2005 might help, but the system response for where I sit is fine.

Hi Soul,

1. How many call object Kernels have you configured
on your server JDE.INI? How many are actually been
used on the server (SAW tool)? What about your
JAS connection pools?

The fact that the server is sleeping "la siesta" while
users are waiting for screens or batches is a symptom
that there maybe latency somewhere (network? clients?)
or that JDE is subexploiting its hardware ressources,
thus requiring more kernels and network processes.

2. I usually set it as 30 minutes. I explain to my users
that the fact of letting a session opened doing nothing
is a waste of memory and CPU for the other users.
I also explain them that it's the same as any Bank site,
if you leave your session open without any activity for
more than 15 or 20 minutes it will close automatically;
by the way, the same happens in Yahoo! Hotmail etc.

3. Mhhh... I can't see how to solve that...

Hey Sebastian,

Here is what I have for my Call Object kernel on both enterprise servers

[JDENET_KERNEL_DEF6]
krnlName=CALL OBJECT KERNEL
dispatchDLLName=XMLCallObj.dll
dispatchDLLFunction=_XMLCallObjectDispatch@28
maxNumberOfProcesses=130
numberOfAutoStartProcesses=20

JAS connection pooling
#
# Session pool size
# A session represents a connection (i.e. signon) to EnterpriseOne.
# All the session in the pool will be created using the synchronization super user information.
# It is recommended to set this number to match the number of CallObject kernels on
# the EnterpriseOne Enterprise Server.
#
#poolSize=20
poolSize=33

This is my JDBJ connection Pool section...

[JDBj-CONNECTION POOL]

; The minimum number of connections to a data source. When closing old connections,
; the value set by this parameter will remain in the pool regardless of use.
;
; Valid values: 0 or greater
; Default value: 5

minConnection=5

; The maximum number of connections to a data source for all users. Additional
; database connection requests beyond this value will be queued for the next available
; connection.
;
; Valid values: 1 or greater (must be equal to or greater than "minConnection")
; Default value: 50

maxConnection=50

; The number of connections to initialize upon pool creation.
;
; Valid values: a value equal to or greater than "minConnection" AND equal to or
; less than "maxConnection"

initialConnection=5

; The increment of connections the system will create when a request for a connection
; cannot be satisfied with the current allocation as long as the maxConnection value
; has not been reached.
;
; Valid values: The rule of thumb is (poolGrowth >= maxConnection/10)

poolGrowth=5

; Amount of time in milliseconds that a connection remains idle before it is flagged
; to be cleaned up. Keeping this value high may or may not add to performance. Reducing
; the value may reduce memory consumption.
;
; Default value: 1800000 (30 minutes)

connectionTimeout=1800000

; Amount of time in milliseconds that the pool cleaner is set to clean data sources
; that have a validation string. When cleaning occurs, any connections which have been
; flagged as idle will be cleaned up. The amount of time between a connection
; becoming idle and being cleaned up can be as long as the connectionTimeout value plus
; the cleanPoolInterval value.
;
; Default value: 600000 (10 minutes)

;cleanPoolInterval=600000
cleanPoolInterval=300000

; The maximum number of JDBC prepared statements cached on each JDBC connection.
;
; Default value: 50

maxSize=50

; The number of JDBC statements purged from a JDBC connection if the maxSize limit is
; reached. The statements purged will be the statements in the cache which have not
; been used for the longest amount of time.
;
; Valid values: The rule of thumb is (cachePurgeSize >= maxSize/10 + 2)

cachePurgeSize=5

Jopefully someone can tell if anything should be changed to enhance performance
grin.gif

Hi,

First, when you go into SAW, how many Call Objects you
see active on your server? If you see 120-130 call
objects active all the time then you're topping
Call Objects and you should increase that parameter.

If that's case, I'd try with 200 and increase Pool Size
to 50 (I understood you have 4 Web servers = 200/4)

If on the other hand, if you see just a bunch of call
objects active (let's say 20 to 60) then your server is
waiting for something else; so your latency may be
caused by network? http settings? disk overtrashing?
database settings? etc.

Well I can say for certain that we are not using all 130 call object kernels because at any given time there is not more than 50 users on the system and we have been monitoring it for the past few days, the servers are not peaking.

One thing is that we are using SSL and I know that adds a layer of slowness
ooo.gif
, but it was insisted that we use it even thouth our access is restriced to internal and VPN.

Hi,

I can see by you jde.ini kernel settings that you are using multi kernel threading.

There is an issue that we have had with multi threaded kernels on the same platform that you are on, where we have had major instability issues and the server maxing out on memory.

The solution we have had is to upgrade to 8.96.H1 which resolves this and other problems we had around multi language generation.

The users now think they have a new system as the performance / system restart issues are now gone.

On your initial entry about journal response times we had big issues around Finance apps and timings compared to Xe and we also upgraded to SQL server 2005 drivers, We found that going with OAS instead of WebSphere was better for us also, and from a technical perspective has been easier to configure and monitor / support.

As far as the timeout thing goes, it really is down to user education. We techies are a very largely misunderstood bread but users need to understand.

Each open session takes resources, how would they like it if the system was running slow because other users were taking up system resources and have not been active on the system for over 24 hours?

What about things like integriteies and record locking. Are you also adapting the timeouts for transaction processing and updateable result sets?

You will never win on this one, but I find that by convincing the management first of the case and then getting there backing for the timeout limits is always a winner, and you can then always deflect the criticism back upwards if the heat gets too hot, it soon dies down...

Back