Impact of Changing Data Dictionary Description (DSCA)

meadek

Hi All,

I have created a custom table that includes fields MCU, MCU2, MCU3, and MCU4. The Data Dictionary Description (DSCA) is “Business Unit” for MCU, MCU3, and MCU4, while MCU2 has a description of “Business Unit 2”.

When I create an “IF” statement, all the fields (except MCU2) appear in the Operand column as “Business Unit”, so it is impossible to identify which is which.

So my question is, will there be any negative impact anywhere else in the system if we change the DD Description (DSCA) for MCU3 to “Business Unit 3” and MCU4 to “Business Unit 4”?

By the way, I found SAR 8098655 that is part of SP23-Q1 that adds additional information to the description in the “IF” statement. However, pushing through a service pack change to resolve this issue is pretty unlikely. (We’re currently on SP23-H1). Any suggestions on this would be helpful too…

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, will there be any negative impact anywhere else in the system if we change the DD Description (DSCA) for MCU3 to “Business Unit 3” and MCU4 to “Business Unit 4”?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, there is no negative side-effect.
The only effect, that the old description will appear everywhere in the ER Designer on the "main ER display" and in the printed ER list, which had been enter before the modification and has not been revised and "OK-ed" after the modification. If you open this line of codes, you will see the new description and if you press OK, then the changes will be fixed in ER main lis and in the printed ER list.

NOTE: if you want to OK an IF statement without any other modification, then just open the Drop-down list on the IF/While and select again IF (or contrary on While the While) and the OK will be available for you on the statemenet.

I hope, somebody other will confirm my statement for you.

Just a note:
I had faced many times with renamed ER or RV variables in vanila ER code, which made me crazy to explore the code, because I had seen the old name in the ER and printed ER, everywhere where it was not revised.

Regards,

Zoltán

Thanks Zoltan. I appreciate your thoughts. This gives me a bit more confidence in making this change. Hopefully some other folks will weigh in and confirm this as well.

Thanks.

meadek,

I agree with Zoltán that there should be no problem. I have changed DD descriptions in the past without any difficulties. However there are a couple of points.

Firstly, you may like to test the effect of a change. Make one change in the DD as a test. After you have made your DD change and on the same fat client and environment in which the DD change was made, in OMW open an application/ube that uses the DD item which you changed using FDA/RDA and run the ER check to make sure that the change doesn't cause the system not to recognise the item. I believe that this would be unlikely - but it is good to check.

Secondly, you will experience the headaches involved with deploying the DD change to clients and servers. This has been discussed numerous times on JDEList.

Back