E9.2 Ignore Inventory In MRP

Just a simple idea and I'm not that tech savvy - could you create a process like in SQL to set safety stock to be equal to your on hand inventory prior to your MRP run for those items? That would essentially make your starting inventory zero and would "ignore" on hand inventory?
You could, but then you'd have to set it back. I'd rather the Safety Stock stay fixed instead of changing each time we run MRP. I think I've come to the decision that if they just want to build inventory they need to either load the forecast as MRP messages directly or just manually create the work orders.

Create a batch suspension status for all inventory and configure in the status group, using P41081, group x Document Type x Batch Status, and configure that group in each program you will use, exception for R3482/R3483. It's easier and cheaper than customizing something... We had the same problem as you and we solved using this.
Interesting. I'll investigate this.

Thanks for the suggestions, Craig. I'm just wondering what you really gain by doing that. If you're just going to populate the 3411 to process messages instead of a forecast, I would submit that you might as well just cut 50 work orders for the year based on your schedule and be done with it. Keep it simple: no MRP messages to deal with since it's not going to give you what you want anyway.
Sorry Jeff I honestly missed this.
Just in case others are following this trail the only reason I said that I recommended using the F3411 to create work orders from your production plan is because IMHO it is an easy way to create WOs from external systems (the R3411 can answer these for you en-masse) . Agree that "Cutting" the work orders using any other method also does the same job ;). But regardless of how you create your WO's I believe that creating WOs is how you need to convert your external Production plan into JDE without it being adjusted.
Which also relates to your question... . I'm just wondering what you really gain by doing that. If you're just going to populate the 3411 to process messages instead of a forecast
The option of loading your Production Forecast into the Forecast tables as your demand and then trying to get MRP to read that Forecast and ignore your on hand I do not believe is a viable option.
Hope that helps clarify my response (and sorry for the tardy reply) and btw I hope you have this sorted using one of many options available.
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Craig. Our manufacturing team has not yet decided how they want to approach this. I think they finally understand that using a Forecast and then hoping MRP tells you to keep building is not going to work here, as you've also stated. They just don't seem to be eager to embrace the idea of having to somehow force the work orders, whether through the F3411 or manually. Go figure!

If you have enough to fill your forecasts - why do you need to build more? If you do need more, why not adjust your forecasts higher or safety stock levels? It would seem to be easier than trying to find a customized solution to MRP. Be very very careful manipulating MRP because it has so many fingers in JDE.

If you have enough to fill your forecasts - why do you need to build more? If you do need more, why not adjust your forecasts higher or safety stock levels? It would seem to be easier than trying to find a customized solution to MRP. Be very very careful manipulating MRP because it has so many fingers in JDE.
Those are all questions that have been asked. The forecast is really planned production for a month, based on capacity, not actual planned consumption for that month. So it's not actually a forecast, which is the point I had to get across. To avoid having to adjust the forecast or safety stock to make it reflect what they wanted to make each period and drive material purchases, we ended up using interoperability to populate work orders to drive component demands for each period.

We have a PF (Planning Forecast) set up with weekly quantities. These are quantities that we want to manufacture each week, regardless of what current inventory levels are. MRP is not creating work order messages for some of these items because of existing on-hand inventory. Is there a way to tell MRP to ignore on-hand quantities and just make to forecast?
Have you reviewed www.cloudinventory.com for mobility and fill in JDE gaps as it relates to all things inventory. It is owned by Nextworld and Nextworld is a No-Code ERP built by the same folks that built JD Edwards.

I like the idea richchipper, I would create a UBE that has 2 modes one for before and one for after MRP runs. In before mode, UBE saves the safety stock value and sets it to the on hand. MRP runs. After mode resets the safety stock value. Problem solved in a very non-invasive way.

Back